Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sicarii

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, I think I finally got the mix right for this song I whipped up last week. Due to my extremely lame downstairs neighbors, I have to mix everything through headphones, so your comments would be appreciated.

Just in case anybody asks, yes, that solo in the end is a bass.

Sicarii

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It was like a short dagger to my brain...just kidding. Very cool, as usual. As far as the mix goes, I think the drums should be louder. Otherwise it's all good. I'm listening though sennheiser HD 280's, just as a point of reference.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You are very adept with effects manipulation, it sounds very good. I agree that the drums could probably be a little bit louder, maybe the lead could be a little bitier, not louder, just a little bit more present.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hah! That's funny; I'm using the same headphones. I guess my ears are a little different than yours. I'll let my ears re-adjust and try some of your guys suggestions.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Reminds me of King Crimson, but darker. Very different. Want to explain the effects used to make that solo?

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hooray! Being compared to my heroes; that's awesome!

The solo (as well as the crusty, "did I leave a cable unplugged?") sound was generated by my TC Electronic G-Force run through the loop of my BassTriaxis set on heavy distortion. It's a pitch shifter up an octave, into a drive module set on "stun", then into a phaser and a delay. I basically just tweaked the settings until I got it nasty as possible. Just play a few takes, use alot of whammy bar action, and viola! Well, maybe it took more than just a few takes... I was improvising, and it took a while for me to find a take that I liked.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Interesting to say the least, I am getting more into effects lately, but I doubt I will ever have as many rare and expensive effect units as you do.

Cool song though, I'll crank it tomorrow so I can hear everything better.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I find that to mix drums I have to do it first thing, otherwise they seem louder to me, especially through headphones. Maybe just a bit of the old multiband compressor? To make them stick out a little more? I don't see it as a flaw anyway, just a matter of personal preference.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok, I remixed it just a smidge. And I do mean, a smidge .