1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request Sick Bass Line Challenge: In This Ocean pt. 1 - Kings Kaleidoscope

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by chancethenapper, Dec 29, 2016.

1. chancethenapper

chancethenapper

Dec 29, 2016
    The bass in this song is insane. I've spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out and I've only figured out the first verse.

Can anyone figure out what this guy is playing and show it to us? Thanks

Life the title says, the song is "In this Ocean Pt. I" by Kings Kaleidoscope. Really great song with an incredible bass line!

Dryke likes this.
  2. Dryke

Dryke

Sep 12, 2019
    I figured out the Chorus (which, I think you have already figured that out too). Here it is (attached mp3 and PDF). The bass player tunes his low E string down a whole step to D. The chorus syncopation pattern is two dotted-eighth notes followed by a dotted-quarter note. I might try to figure out the walking bass in the verse next. It seems to go all over the place in the verses. This part of the song is using notes from the A major scale and loosely follows a DM7 to E repetitive chord progression.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  3. Dryke

Dryke

Sep 12, 2019
    I notated the whole song and here it is (attached along with MP3 file of the bass part). The files I attached start with the verse though (which is 45 seconds into the song). I'm going to upload better notation in a little bit that doesn't use dotted eighth notes in the chorus and uses ties instead and some other improvements.

Several of the walking notes the bass-player plays in the verses are a quarter to a half-step off key so I notated them to the nearest pitch within the key.

When playing this song, tune your 4-string Bass to drop D (lower E-string a whole step) if you want to play the chorus.

I can also send, to whoever wants it, a MIDI file of the bass part to practice with a slower tempo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. Dryke

Dryke

Sep 12, 2019
    Here is the updated notation (attached PDF)

Attached Files:

5. Dryke

Dryke

Sep 12, 2019
    Actually this one I notated is better and the final version (attached PDF).

Attached Files:

ChrisDev likes this.