1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sick, 'drugged up' hospital patients asked to pay prior to receiving treatment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Waffles and Scotch, Jun 29, 2012.

1. http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rock-center/48006879/#48006879

This is just sickening. I understand hopspitals are losing money, especially with the coverage (or lack thereof) some of us have, but demanding payment while patients are drugged up, in pain and/or waiting for emergency surgery?

I'd feel the same way as the gentlemen that said "I didn't think they'd turn me away, but I thought if I didn't pay, what level of care was I going to get? Are their certain tiers based on whether you pay or not, and how much you pay?"

It's a sad state of affairs when you feel you may not receive adequate care if you're unable to make a payment while in the midst of a life threatening situation.

2. I thought that for life threatening emergency care it was meant to be a "do the work now, worry about payment later" mantra?

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    maybe trying to avoid the medical equivalent of dine-and-dash?

the rule is, whoever gets caught has to pay for everyone's new organs.

4. It is. It's illegal to deny care, or make a patient feel care may either be denied or inadequate if payment is not tendered. But what are you going to do when everyone leaves your room and a collector comes in demanding payment immediately? IMO it's tantamount to threatening someone's life.

5. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    I will admit that I didn't watch the entire video. (I don't trust the source.) But, I don't understand what the issue is. They asked "How do you want to pay?" She said she was using her insurance, and they left. End of discussion. What's wrong with that?

6. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    Was anyone denied care in that video? I watched it again and didn't hear them talk about anyone being denied service.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Something most people brought up in todays culture sadly don't get is this. Nothing is free, their is no big pile of money in a room somewhere that's used to pay for all the stuff. And at some point you will get the tab. :rollno:

8. No, but it's reasonable to think some of the patients believed they would be. Regardless, what they were doing is unethical and illegal.

I agree, but clearly all those interviewed understood they had to pay a certain amount and were fully willing to do that. The fees aren't the issue, it's the methods used to collect those fees.

9. Todays culture in the US maybe? In many other parts of the world you are pretty much always paying for it via tax.

10. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    There is no story here...your country has never in its history had a proper public health care system, and people are expected to pay for medical treatment. So, why does it come as a surprise to some Americans that they must pay when they go to the hospital?

I don't live in your country, but I know enough to never travel the the US without first having proper health insurance in place. US citizens should all be fully aware that you either need a good health care plan, or lots of money.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I didn't see anything about fee collection, all I saw was people being asked how they intended to pay AFTER care had been initiated. Had it not been true emergency care they were in need of, they would have sat outside in Triage until the insurance / payment issues had been resolved.

Welcome to the greatest healthcare system in the world.:rollno:

If the need is immediate you get care just like they all did. When it is critical enough they don't ask ANYTHING not even your name. Some pencil pusher / risk management person will follow you all over that hospital to ask you all kinds of questions like, What's your name?; Where do you live?; Who's your next of kin?; Do you have a living will?; and yes, do you have insurance and how do you plan to meet your policy's deductible if you have one.

There is no story there. That is the way hospital emergency care is provided all day, every day, all over the country.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    A little off-topic, but still relevant: I have friends and family in the healthcare industry. The issue with universal healthcare is that it has good intentions, but does not work in practice. What we've ended up with is people using the ER in place of a primary care physician, and they go in there demanding treatment for completely benign issues like a cold or a hangnail (my sis-in-law sees this all the time). Then when they're billed, it turns out they can't pay. Hospitals are writing off so much debt right now that it's a miracle they're able to stay open (and some can't). What happens when the small-town hospitals close and people have to drive hours to get treatment? It's a bad situation that could get worse before it's all sorted out.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Like I used to do when I came home drunk and didnt want to explain to my mother where I had been all night...

pretend to be sleeping.

14. Over here, if someone shows up to A&E (ER) without an actual emergency, they'll get turned around and punted out the door and told to see their GP.

(at least that is what is meant to happen, there will probably be some exceptions)

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That, is not the result of universal health care. That is the result of a lack of universal healthcare.

"Oh but, the system is going to collapse under the weight of all these new patients that they didn't have before..."

What total BS.

All those New customers that actually have the ability TO PAY for the services is gonna be a problem?

When was the last time any business complained about or collapsed due to the work load caused by a flood of new customers with money in their pockets? Boo Hoo Hoo.

And...that's about as close to political as I want to go although, I see the issue as totally non political. I understand that many do not.

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I didn't realize that this was a new practice.....

Usually, when I go to a doctor, (which I try to never do, if I can possibly treat myself) I wind up standing at a counter with my debit card in my hand waiting to be approved before anything can be done. Of course, I'm not talking about the ER. Last time I had a broken arm, I went to Orthopedics. LOL! Next time I'll know better.

17. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    If you have a finite amount of doctors, a finite amount of medicine (remember the whole swine flu vaccine 2 years ago), but add more people. That's not BS - or politics. That's simple math.

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    One more thing. If they are on drugs, they can claim that they were intoxicated and not in right mind. If they are in pain, they can claim they were under duress.

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'll bet you lunch that everything is going to be just fine. This is not the end of the world as you know it.

20. Really? If this is SOP (standard operating procedure), why would the hospital stop doing business with the collection agency and issue a public apology? And why would the states attorney general investigate this, then go on record stating the law was broken as payment was demanded while these patients were under duress?

I've been to the ER several times. One of those times I was taken to the ICU for an attack of eschemia (sp?). At no time was I asked for payment prior to treatment. Insurance? Sure. (which everyone interviewed in the video had) But when I was hooked up to an EKG thinking I'd had a heart attack nobody came in and asked me for a credit card, leading me to believe I might receive inadequate care if I didn't tender payment immediately.