Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sick of ampeg--whats next?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdsi44, Feb 2, 2005.

1. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    im just tired of my ampeg svt classic....i love the tube sound, but the weight is killing me....i want to stick with the tubey sound....any suggestions?

2. Not exactly the same, but I would recommend an Ashdown ABM 500. They are awesome, and I bet you could get an enjoyable tone out of one. They're a little more than I can afford, but if you have an SVT already it shouldn't be out of your range.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    How about an Ampeg or Aguilar preamp and a light weight power amp?

4. +1

if you like that sound, and you are tired of the weight, this is the best way to do it

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aguilar DB 750. Only 46 pounds.

6. Hi i might be able to help you, i was a true Ampeg fan and user of the SVT3 PRO and also SVTCL head.

I also got tired of them and i now use an Ashdown ABM500 it was the best thing i ever did.

Look up my posts on the Ampeg Forum (Bassampegman ) and you will see i was generally unhappy with Ampeg.

Ive tried all sorts of stuff and the Ashdown ABM gives me as good as the classic with more choice and variation in tone and in the UK it costs half the price of Ampeg SVTCL

I still use my Ampeg cabs but they work fine.

The reduction in weight etc is also a real bonus as is the long term savings in maintenance.

Dont be put off by the odd comment about quality issues just make sure you get it from a good home or reputable Ashdown dealer.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I got an older Mesa 400 Bass head. It's around 47 pounds, which is MUCH lighter than my old SVT. I tried the tube preamp w/power amp thing, and while the tone was nice, it wasn't me. I honestly believe that for my situation i could get by with a 100 watt tube head like the old V-4 or Musicman 100B; those amps had tons of headroom, but then again, I play a pretty high output bass.

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

KD---it seems to me that the weight factor has you down and out. I believe that you'd be saved from this dreadful admission of passing years and aching, sagging muscles if you simply found a 60's edition of a Superman comic book, turn to the back page, cut out and mail the "Charles Atlas" muscle building course application. Soon, you'll be juggling 3 SVT heads at a time while kicking sand in the faces of SS amp users who are resting on the beach with their girlfriends. Obviously, the gorgeous babe also gets up, calls her former bass player a wimpy girly-man and leaves with you as well.

You can find old comics in many small shops across this great land. See how much money I saved you! :hyper:

RB

9. AGUILAR!!!

The DB359 All tube amp. The DB724 all tube power amp w/DB680 all tube preamp.

The best way to get a real all tube sound is to use all tubes. Sorry to sound so lame with that, but it's true. I use the aguilar db750, all tube preamp with mosfet power. It gets me SOME of the tube sound but with the reliability/less maint/less weight/more power of a tube power amp.
    BUT you play that amp next to an all tube preamp and a DB724 and there's no comparison IMHO.

Oh ya, and all their stuff is rackmount, i generally find this easier for transport.

10. I know this remark will hit a nerve or two, but what is so special about an all tube bass amp. I didnt think my SVTCL was that special with all valves as with a band live its difficult to hear any real difference in sound in my opinion over a soildstate amp.

However with guitars its a different story as the sound does really sound better with tubes and you can hear it, maybe its the midrange treble difference etc.

I tried my SVTCL head at huge volumes and it sounded really nice as an amp but the magical sound of tubes wasnt evident and to prove a point my Ashdown Tube pre/ mosfet power amp sounds better live as you can at least hear the different bass notes now where as SVTCL was just brute force power.

I vote solidstate and wouldnt go back to tubes.

11. I'm think im the opposite, when I had a Mesa 400+ . My sound was so full and rich like it was alive. But unfortunately I had to sell it. And now when I hear solid state power, to me it sounds so thin like something is missing. And a Mesa 400+ is way more clearer than the Ampeg tho. So I know what you mean about the Ampeg. And lately I've been impressed with some solid state stuff tho...like Ashdown, BBE BMax,...But to me tubes will always rock :bassist:

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Simple, buy a Thunderfunk. :bassist:

Lync

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sunn 2000S, 300T or a Sceptre. All tube goodness

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I'm enjoying my 10 lb. Yamaha bbt500h head. It has, what I call, "tube emulation". Maybe 500 watts @ 2 ohms isn't enough for you but this thing has warmth, tubey, and vintage wrote all over it.

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The end of the line for me and my SVT was when nobody would help me carry it anymore. The guit@r player was afraid he would hurt his hands and the drummer said that he was too busy with his "drum kit" . :eyebrow: I'm looking forward to trying out an Ampeg SVT6-PRO. :hyper:

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    "KD---it seems to me that the weight factor has you down and out. I believe that you'd be saved from this dreadful admission of passing years and aching, sagging muscles if you simply found a 60's edition of a Superman comic book, turn to the back page, cut out and mail the "Charles Atlas" muscle building course application. Soon, you'll be juggling 3 SVT heads at a time while kicking sand in the faces of SS amp users who are resting on the beach with their girlfriends. Obviously, the gorgeous babe also gets up, calls her former bass player a wimpy girly-man and leaves with you as well.

You can find old comics in many small shops across this great land. See how much money I saved you!"

Ha! yes, Rich I think thats it! What is it that people think tube heads are so dang heavy? I mean you rack up all that other cr*p in a road case, and how much does that weigh? Give me more tubes and more cowbell! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

17. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Sansamp RBI + Stewart Worl 1.2

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    +1. My Sceptre rocks.

19. Being a tube-amp kinda guy I can relate to the dilemma. I'll have to agree with "the artist formerly named Munjibunga" that the DB750 is a great choice!!!

As the weight is killing you, I would stay away from the idea of pairing a DB680 with a DB728... it's easily over 100lbs and that's before you mount it into a rack case! Mine is in a Boogie SUS-4 and the whole arrangement weighs in at about 145lbs.