1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sick of buying alkalines?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    good deal, seems simple enough

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So, the battery manufacturer warns that attempting to charge an alkaline battery May cause it to leak or explode, but he managed to pull it off without having the battery leak or explode so he concludes that they are lying?

Oh, wait - it seems that based on his own testing he has proved that this will cause batteries to leak and or explode:

"AAs eventually popped open making a fizz noise, and leaked 3 drops of weak acid that was easily cleaned up with my bare hands"

At least he's stupid enough not to be bothered by this.

Yeah, I think I'll avoid taking advise from some anonymous person on the interwebs that goes by the name of "Giant Douche '04"

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That's a good idea. You might pop some old batteries and spill some weak acid that is easily cleaned up with your bare hands. That could easily kill you. It's best to stay on the safe side and forsake batteries altogether. Have you ever licked a 9V battery? That mildly stings. Way too dangerous for the average consumer.

5. I'll probably try it out. Seems easy enough.

If the batteries happen to asplode and burn my eye balls out with acid, I'll be sure to feel my way over to the computer and attempt to type a summary of what happened and try to post it here so you all know what not to do.

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    :D
    48 pack at Best Buy, $19.00.
    New set of eyes, priceless.....

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    How can alkaline batteries have acid in them?

8. [​IMG]

Haven't you ever taken chemistry? This is a classic voltaic cell.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's what I was wondering...

BTW, The thing here is that with the AA battery, he tested a higher voltage. He tested it up to 2 volts, and it popped. anything past 1.8 is risky. But, I may build this circuit, and put it on a metal tray or something to catch anything, just in case...

Apparently, rechargeable alkalines are not out of the question, as they used to market them. They just didn't catch on.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have noticed the price of batteries has gone down and their are more special deals on them.

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Yeah, but the alkaline means base not acid, right?

That diagram is wierd anyway...they show the Anode as (-) and the Cathode as (+)

BTW...I made a D in Chemistry!

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I see why I made a D in Chemistry...

Apparantly, anode means negative in chemistry...go figure!

Anyway, that diagram is not for an alkaline battery...it's for a zinc carbon battery that does use acid.

Alkaline batteries use potassium hydroxide instead of ammonium chloride (NH4Cl). Thanks wiki!

13. Well as I said, that diagram is of a voltaic cell just to demonstrate how it works. Alkaline batteries were based off of those.

And yes, the anode is the negative contact :)

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I just went down to the lab to run some tests of my own. I'm using a constant current / voltage power supply on an old 9v with a charge current of 40 mA and will let you guys know what I find. If you never hear from me again it means the house burned down. ;)
    The big problem I have with recharging Alkaline batteries is why? You can buy 2300 Mha NiMh AA pretty cheap that will out preform Alkaline batteries and are made to be recharged. So why bother?? Guess the 9 volt batteries are another matter.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The voltages on rechargeables are 1.2 volts per cell, alkalines are 1.5 volts per cell. For devices like wireless units, you need the higher voltage for it to work right.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Good point, also shelf life. I have kids and go though a lot of 9v's so I am going to give this a try. Thanks for posing the idea!

17. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    One problem I've had with using alkalines in potential products is the way they drop in voltage.

Rechargables may only have 1.2 volt cells, but they usually stay around that voltage and then suddenly die. The voltage of Alkalines drops lower and lower as they die...I believe around 1.2 volts when they are half dead. 9 volt batteries are 4.5 volts when they are dead. It's a little harder to design with alkalines, but they sure are cheap!

I wonder how this recharging thing affects the discharge curve.

18. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I have a kooky relative who mods everything electronic in the house. The stereo is hooked up to a variac. He builds his own amps. Good gravy he even has a little power-box to make his electric shaving razor run at at slower rate. If there is some crazy mod, he has done it. What he does not do is recharge alkaline batteries. My point is, if this nut won't do that, there is probably a good reason.