sick of copycats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tequonic, Nov 5, 2002.

1. tequonic

Oct 29, 2002
    Toms RIver, NJ
    YO. whats up, i was just wondering if anybody out there is sick of all the jbass clones and stuff. I mean, i guess use whatever works, but do any of you guys want a new type of body style? everything that i see looks the same as everything else. does anybody know about anything diffrent???
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Um, I have a P-Bass. You should try one. It's different from a "J":D
  3. Nope, there is no other bass besides the J.
  4. there are quite a few jbass and pbass body styles out there, but there is a whole other arena of bassdom out there. Keep checkin out those links i sent ya, almost none of them (cept lull and saduwsky) even remotely look like jazzes.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If all you see are J basses & J styles basses, you're definitly not looking hard enough.

Don't look @ my collection then because they're mostly J basses, none of which are Fender. :)
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    See Nino... your basses aren't clones.. they are genetically enhanced beasts...

and NO.. I don't really consider these basses to be clones.. They are improvements on the standard
  7. All this and nobody has mentioned the following at all:

Steinberger--as non-trad as it gets
    Warwick--some very original body shapes
    BC Rich-ditto (even if they are ripped off from their hair-farmer guitar line)
    Rickenbacker-the definitive non-Fender bass 1963- 1976 (when Leo came out with his 3rd and best
    original product)
    Music Man-that would be it (Sting Ray or Sterling has already been well-debated on TB)
    Tele-style/single cutaway basses of any kind (wasn't there a monsta thread on that about 2 months ago?)

Methinks tequonic may not be getting out enough, may not be reading enough bass-related literature, or at the very least may have too narrow a focus.
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    here's a Fender clone for ya:

9. tequonic

Oct 29, 2002
    Toms RIver, NJ
    i definetly do get out enough. i own a warwick corvette. now that i think about it there are alot of basses taht arent j clones. but still, they all have similar bodies. i guess i just want to hear your guys opinions on the matter. i personaly dont like the j bass look. the sound, thats a whole nother story, i own a jazz too.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    No.... living in the same town, I'd have to say he needs to stop judging the bass world by Toms River Music's selection. (fender, peavey, ampeg, crate and a few warwick)
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I still think the J bass design is the greatest of all. Neck, body, tone, etc. That's why all the copies

12. I'll be soooo coooool when I get my Grabber 3 :rolleyes:

:p :D
  13. how about "bug-eyed alien monster shape"???

(below; a washed-out pic of the front view)

these are work in progress pics, they say my bass will be finished by next week...
  14. I like J basses. I have 2.

I like P basses. My P, my Yammer 5, and my musicmaster are all P basses shaped.

But, my current GAS is for an Iceman! About as anti Jazz as you can get!

Sadly, neither one of these are mine. But I will have one!
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Then perhaps you haven't looked hard enough. ;)

One reason basses look similar is that they must be functional, and too big changes from the proven form will make the instrument less playable.

I'm sure there's quite a bit of conservatism on the part of buyers and builders as well though.
  16. tequonic

Oct 29, 2002
    Toms RIver, NJ
    yo spedding, tr music is the worst. never go there if i dont have to. im just saying that i am kind of sick of the jazz bass shape and all the copys. i like diffrent.
  17. I bought a J style bass because I was sick of Warwicks... I wanted something different!

18. try an mvp, now that's different
  19. to answer the original question: Yes.

oooo pbasses are so great. leo fender was genius. the reason i started bass was guitar was all the same, and i pick up bass only to see every other bassist sporting ps or js or copies. we pay $2000 for basses that are the same as everyone elses. i like the feel and sound of js, dont get me wrong its just that theres so many of them.

now, lynch me :D
  20. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Yeah lets drop the J-bass and move onto B.C. Rich!