sick of pentatonic

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by relman, Mar 27, 2002.

1. ok....this question may be very broad...

I am starting to solo on a few of my bands songs, but I can only solo in major, minor and minor it's what you hear all the time in music, and i want to play something different. Can anyone recommend some scales/modes that sound different from mainstream? I'm trying to bring jazz influence into a rock/funk band.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very very basic suggestions: if you're in a minor key, try Dorian mode which is the minor scale with a major sixth. Instead of major, try Mixolydian which is the major scale with a minor 7.

Actually, you should become familiar with all the modes... and then take theory to know how to use them better. I'm overdue for lessons myself.
  3. Chip

May 2, 2000
    its got nothing to do with what scale you play in, but what you play
    err but try relitive major/minors that always helps me
  4. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Try running lydian scales starting on a minor chords 3rd- For example- while soloing in A min- play some licks in the C lydian scale- and alternate which lydian scale you use. While soloing over dominant chords, try the same scales, this time starting from the seven-ex) A dominant- try G lydian-
    Just one of many ideas to spice things up a bit!
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Try ok i'm sorry i dont know jack about soloing on bass. guess id rather do something else.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, this is a very big subject and I could say something like - diminished, whole tone scales etc. sound Jazzy. But the point is, you really need to understand how scales relate to functional harmony and how to contruct solos based on this or you aren't going to sound convincing.

I would recommend getting Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" and working through this - playing the examples etc. This goes through all the different types of Jazz chords/scales and will give you loads of ideas!
  7. thanks guys!

Bruce...i was planning on getting that book...i've heard nothing but good stuff about it...
  8. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    This *is* a huge topic, but slade presented an idea that a jazz teacher of mine presented to me. I tended (and still do) to be root oriented, so my soloes sounded a bit conservative. He had me start my soloes on the 3rd of what ever chord or mode we were playing in, and all of a sudden, it sounded a lot more hip. I was still crowding the root, it's just that the root was the third. It sounds cool if you use the 7th too.