sick of playing rock...any advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the_bassment, Mar 3, 2006.

1. i joined a band with a guy at school playing mostly covers from guns n roses,van halen ,zeppelin and bands like that but i feel as if he doesnt like the music i want to play such as floyd ant volta becuse when i mention them he changes the subject.but its not just that i dont really get a buzz playing with that band anymore id rather play with a jazz band im with or go play some folk with another band because i get a buzz.i
    i dont know if quiting is an idea but if it is i dont want him to get off side because hes preety cool so some
    help there would be appreciated
  2. Try to find other people to jam with.

Good luck.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's OK to be in more than one band at a time if you still enjoy playing with this guy.

It's common when you're a beginner to be too loyal to your band(s) when in reality most beginner bands will break up quickly.

Good luck.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

BY all means, join another band in addition to this one. Also, see if you can persuade the guy to expand his repertory a bit. Maybe the problem lies in playing the same songs over and over. He might not be receptive. YOu may have to start your own band, always an option.

If jazz is your main interest, start developing a repertory on your own and develop a vocabulary of jazz bass lines (ex.:walking bass skills) and be able to recognize common jazz standards. Learn their chord progressions. There is quite a bit you can do on your own to prepare yourself foir that day that a jazz gig might offer itself.

Or study other genres by yourself in case a folk or blue grass gig comes along. You can develop capacity in a range of styles in your free time that may come in handy. You just never know when the golden opportunity will arise. Remember the old phrase, "Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity."
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Join a blues band. Two hour long sets of I-IV-V blues will make that rock you're playing seem like the most challenging stuff you've ever played.
  6. Go with what you feel. If you don`t feel the music you will not do your best at it. Find other people to play with. you can play with more than one band at a time. I play every thing from Sountern Rock and Blues to Blue Grass. So mix it up have fun.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Start learning Steely Dan stuff and go the way of modest sophistication.
  8. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Playing different styles of music won't hurt you or your playing. In fact it probably will make you a better musician.

The R+B band I play with has several players in it that come from a background of jazz and free form improv. Well, there's no room for that in R+B, so we're getting together at odd times just to jam and maybe take a gig at a book store or who knows what.

No matter what style you play, there is a good chance that you'll tire of it. Keeping your musical mind fresh is an important part of survival.
  9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Oh come on, it's plenty challenging to play "two hour long sets of I-IV-V blues" and find tasty, nonrepetitive bass lines to give each song a unique feel and flavor. ;)

'Course some guy who only knows one way to walk or only pounds the root's probably gonna be a little bored by the time the two hours are over. But then, so likely will be the audience. :p

P.S. Listened to a local blues band in a sports bar a while back. The bassist started on an upright then switched to a P-bass in the second set. Flawless intonation, perfect execution, clearly school-trained... and boring as all get-out. He would play ONE line for an entire song, never wavering from it in the least. It was like listening to the bass equivalent of a drum machine. :rollno: