Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sick of using the stewmac pickup screws

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Nov 15, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Overpriced wimpy headed things. :spit: What options are there out there? :help: .......Tom

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    How stout does a pickup screw need to be?

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Um, yeah, really. My EMG's always come with screws, what kind of pickups are you buying?

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I am talking about the the head stripping easily. I was wondering if there were any threaded insert type things that come that small......t

5. i've actually run accross that problem from time to time as well. i've had a few of them strip on me, which is why i usually order a couple of extras.

it seems that a few places that sell barts via the internet do not supply screws with the pickups.

6. I know EXACTLY what you mean! You gotta friend!

It's because they are chrome plated brass. The brass is too soft for more than a couple of removals (if that) and then it's goober time for the head. Trouble is that this type of screw is not a common type - small diameter, long thread, long shank small round phillips head. I am searching for a suitable steel replacement.

How about inserts and machine screws?

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    That's what I am talking about. :hyper: Are we able to find something that small? .............. :eyebrow: .......t

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Man, I hate `em too! Especially when trying to put them into a hard wood like Wenge, etc.....

The threaded brass inserts I use for my control cavity cover screws are probably small enough in diameter, but I need to check and see if I can get machine screws that long. I'm gonna dig around and see what I can find....

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Are they smaller than #4 (.112 dia.) ?

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I just picked up some inserts and stainless dome headed machine screws that take Allen keys. As for the size the inserts need a 1/4" pilot hole. The sides of the tops of the screws will have to be filed down a bit so they won't sit on top of the pup. Not sure if you all can picture this. I was told he couldn't get anything smaller. Kahuna what size are the pilot holes for the cover screws you do inserts for? I need to go smaller diameter than this if possible......... Yes Wenge is a disaster for this.............t

11. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I use 4-40 x 1-1/2" black socket head cap screws with brass inserts and they work great. I get them at my local hobby store; places that are into RC cars and planes seem to carry them. They are similar to these except the ones I get are all-thread.

12. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
  13. Hmmm.

Generally I can find almost anything at McMaster Carr.

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    McMaster has #4 wood screws in zinced steel up to 1.25"

15. Yeah, Yeah! I've been meaning to get by the local hobby store for some RC equipment. They have all of the neat hardened, grade 8, cap screws in sizes below #4. Might have a prob with matching thread pitch but I've made my own inserts with epoxy so that won't stop me.

To make an insert, just make a nice clean hole about 3x the diameter of the screw. Put epoxy in the hole. Spray the threads with WD-40 and sink it into the epoxy and hold it in place until cured. You should be able to back the screw out leaving the epoxy filled hole with perfect threads. I did this last week to make a threaded section for some ½" dia. acme thread lead screw I've got. Worked like a charm but because I encased about 5" of the screw, it was a little hard to get the thing started to unscrew it from the screw after it hardened.

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just did something like this last night, using oil to keep epoxy from bonding in selected areas. Worked great. Thanks for the idea, Ham.

17. I think most problems with wood screws come from drilling the incorrect sized hole. Stew mac recommends a 1/16" hole for their bass pickup screws, but I've found that getting them a little bigger by circling the drill while drilling the hole gets me better results, also, make sure you get the correct depth. I used to have problems with my tuner screws because of too shallow a hole, didn't want to drill through the headstock!

Bartolinis do not ship with screws, if your seller includes them it's because they put them in.

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I hate them things too, but I've found that the problem is usually the screwdriver though and if you have one that fits those small screwheads properly you'll get better results. I found a small screw driver tip, but it was too pointy, so I took it over to the bench grinder and knocked just enough of the tip off so it fits tightly into the screw head slots.