1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SICK Playing and tone from a Mexican Fender ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I'm almost positive this is a Mexican Fender.

This Brother is sick!

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I thought it was an older Am. Std. model. In any case Sharay would murder any bass put in his hands!

3. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    its a U.S. model the truss rod n ut is at the bottom of the neck, does sound great though

4. That IS some cool tone and nice playing :bassist:

5. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    I never get sick of hearing Sharay. I've been bugging him for a while to shed. Hopefully I can get some of that anointing he has

6. the engine

the engine Guest

Nice! You may be thinking it's an MIM because of the five on top tuning keys. The MIA was done that way for a few years in the 90's (maybe early 2000's as well).

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    A bit OT but what IYO is the difference between "shedding " and taking a lesson? I only ask because some younger guy's on the gospel circuit have asked me to Shed from time to time but what they really want, to me, is to take a lesson. Sharay is a bad dude with a very unique sense of musicality that draws form a lot of different traditions,I enjoy his playing a lot.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Yeah, Mr. Reed can play... :smug:

And let's give the drummers some, too! :cool: There's actually two of them doing their thing (here's another vid I found: )... same event, I believe.

In the second clip, it looks like Sharay's Jazz has gold hardware - never seen that on a US 5'er before...

9. That's exactly what I was thinking. That's good to know about the MIAs.

10. That's what I'm TALKIN' 'bout, right there!

Like a pair of size 65 pants ... DEEP POCKETS!

11. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    what I consider shedding is sitting down exchanging musical ideas and playing together. Maybe a little be of exchange of do this and do that, but for the most part just playing together and using each other to build new ideas.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    first time i saw this clip, i HAD to go pick up a bass and start practicing!:bassist:

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Here is some more footage with a better quality picture.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Big time... not sure if Calvin Rodgers is on drums in that particular video (haven't watched much of it), but he plays in that concert and is one of the best church drummers (and in general!) I've ever heard!

15. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL

no, that's teddy on the set.

Calvin was playing with Maurice.

16. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    really nice playing and a nice growl! Passive I presume??

I never got why they use 2 drummers. All you need is one drummer to hold down a fat pocket. Too much flash drumming in the end for my taste, but still good.

17. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I believe thats a 40 or 50th anniversarary(sp) Fender..hence the gold hardware..

Hey, did Sharary get the Diddy gig for the tv show?

18. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I was buying an old Roland Jazz Chorus amp of this guy a while back (I play guitar as well as bass), & he had an MIM fender p bass laying around. I picked it up to plink around on it & was amazed at how well it felt/played. He said they just need to be set up right. I used to talk smack about 'em, but I wanted this one!