Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sick Product Name.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My wife was on the Atkins Diet website to get some recipes and there was an ad for diet pills. The product's name? ANOREX! Am I the only one that see the problem in that?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, since "anorectic" means "lacking appetite," I don't see a problem with the name since that is what the product is designed to do--help you lose your appetite.

Sometimes, it's easy to find controversy where there really isn't any.

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Most people wouldn't think about the meaning of the product in relation to the word is was derived from; they are more likely to think about the medical condition, anorexia. Now, Bassmonkee is right about there being no actual refernce to this condition, but the marketing department of whatever drug company released this drug should have considered the reaction that most people would have.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with you and everyone.

Bad choice, but not in bad taste, but it still should have been considered that some people might eb offended even if there is no real reason to be offended.

Peace
    Nick

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Hey, damn good points. When I saw the name, I instantly thought about the sickness, and not the meaning of the root word. Kind of a Karen Carpenter type image, if you will.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There used to be a weight loss product called "AIDS". That would be bad taste, but it was before aids as we know it today and no doubt is why it is not offered anymore. IIRC, "Lose weight, get aids" was their motto.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I remember those. They were little chocolate type chews. They were spelled AYDS.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You may be right about the spelling, it was a long time ago.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here's something that I don't understand. Their business took a direct hit when the AIDS epidemic hit. Instead of going belly up, why not just change the name of the product?

10. Then marching around making an ancient roman salute (as seen in the Asterix comics and movies) shouting "Salvation" in german shouldn't either be considered offensive.:)

...a bit far fetched, i know, but even if it's no big deal, I think they should've thought at least twice about the name.

11. ...I also think the movie with the tasteless name "The two towers" should be banned. What was Peter Jackson thinking when he made that name up?:)

Well I think it's "Bad taste"... (See if anyone gets the lame pun...)

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok,, your useing sarcasm... ok... let me see if i can get it.... tolkien was the man who gave the name to the BOOK, so i'm guessing the pun is... uh... nope, lost me.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well... there is that hair removal product... Nads.

14. This is originally no sarcasm... I found a petition someware on the net where someone tried to collect names to get the movie banned, or at least get the name changed... ...but maybe that was also sarcasm, and in that case I'll climb down a small hole and never come out.

By the way, the lame pun wasn't about the "Two towers" movie...

Edit:
    http://www.twotowersprotest.org/
    http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_583722.html

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got that as a present for a friend of mine.

Its sitting on her shelf as a novelty item.

Imagine how much fun it could be removing facial har with that.

"Hey look she has Nads on her face!"

:D

Peace
    Nick

16. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I got it. ;)

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The lady who invented it named it after her daughter, Natalie.

Sadly, I actually know that fact.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Shouldn't it be Nats then?

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You would think that, wouldn't you?

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey Matt, is your avatar supposed to mean the Bucs are in trouble? Bring on the Eagles!

Bucs versus Raiders in Super Bowl 37.