Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Mar 12, 2002.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Does anyone know of the band Thursday? Well their bassist has one incredible awesome tone, if anyone has could someone please tell me some eq settings that I may be able to achieve this? If you haven't heard them, while it's not the best example, go to Victory Records and download Cross Out The Eyes.
  2. you want SICK tone?!?

You call Tom Kennedy, Gary Willis, and Matthew them and ask them their settings...;)
  3. I think there are a few more variables than just eq settings. The way my Eden sounds when set flat is how other amps I've owned sound with a smiley face eq setting. Then there's......

eq on the instrument
    speaker/driver size
    cabinet size
    etc., etc., etc.,

Then there's the recording equipment, preamps, Neve board, etc.

How's it sound to you? Just fool with things until you come close, I guess.....
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think his tone is mostly in his Warwick bass. I saw the video for Understanding (In A Car Crash) and their bassist was using a Warwick Thumb I believe. They have a very distinct tone, so I think thats what it was that you liked.
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    his tone is pretty awesome...sounds ampegish to me...maybe aquilar or ashdown, possibly even eden, but i doubt it. Its ashame the songs arent a little better though :(
  6. Dobber2419

Jan 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    actually, I've been told he uses an SWR 350 head through an Ampeg 810, and he does use a Warwick bass.

By the way, I love Thursday! Saw them in concert here in Chicago a couple weeks ago.
  7. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I know he uses an Ampeg SVT 8x10 from pics I've seen. What do you mean by the songs aren't better? Everyone has a different opinion, they're my personal favorite band.

You're lucky, I get to go see them in April. Could you comment on how he sounds live as to the cd?
  8. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Oh yea and in response to lo-end and Mark the tone to me just a very emphasized "GROWL". Distinctive too which is also why I like it. It's the best tone of any bassist/rig/ i dunno I've ever heard. While P-nut's a step below.
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Bleh, I'm not very fond of Thursday at all. :(

Their bassist's tone's alright... =\
  10. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I guess some of you won't like my band then... But I dig Thursday a lot (musicially) BUT the vocals are a bit "child/whiney" for me.

My band is called Best Kept Secret and we're in that same genre of music but a little more technical in the music sense. I play fretless if that makes any difference and our singer sort of reminds me of Mike Patton (in the respect of vocal range). Oh well...

yes the bassist of Thursday has a good tone. nice and punchy and cutty. Cool band. o
  11. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    My only point was that the last thing the genre needs is another pop punk / rock and roll band calling themselves emo. Emo to me is Mineral, The Casket Lottery, Breaking Pangea, etc. While Thursday isnt a bad band I feel that theyre yet another pop band that is slowly homogenizing and preparing for wholesale what used to be a good genre. Alot of newer bands now are getting discouraged from playing anything akin to what "emo" used to be for fear that someone label them emo...which now lumps them in with Saves The Day, Thursday, et al.
  12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Um... well I think you're kinda mistaken... Thursday isn't a pure EMO band. Pure emo is like Still Life or Julia... if any of you have ever heard of them. I really don't remember seeing anything that said Thursday claimed themselves to be emo... I think Thursday is very original in the way they fuse genres together. Calling them nothing else but emo wouldn't really work...
  13. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    thursday....great band. they've bought me wendys :D (long story) well from what i saw of his rig during the summer was this. a warwick thumb 4 string (they tune to D most of the time) an SWR head (not exactly sure the model but i'm sure its an SWR) and an ampeg 8x10.

ndjx, i agree w/ u. still life is a great EMO band. i have some old 7"s of them. great stuff.

leper,thursday never said they were emo. they actually dont like to be pigeoholed into that genre. i saw on interview where they said fugazi was the one true emo band ever.
  14. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I don't even know what emo is. I do dig bands like juliana theory, grade, still life, mineral, the cancer conspiracy (i don't know what they are but they rock), Alert, The Casket Lottery, and Thursday.

I mean all those bands are so different. I hate genres. i just look at it as, its good music!

all those bands rock - there are so many cool "underground" bands. Thursday is yeah a bit poppy in some respects but musicially I think its "interesting". I guess good for them for finally "making it". I saw them at a basement show a while ago....they worked hard and they got results....oh well....
  15. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I went out and listened to them after I read this post. They sound great but the vocals are somewhat irritating. (and I'm not easily irritated) I kind of like them and might pick them up if I see them in the bargain bin. I think anyone who likes these guys and have heavier tastes would love At the Drive In.
  16. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'm just curious what makes you dislike the vocals? I really like them, but that's just me. Yes At the Drive-in is a great band, some of the stuff on their newest CD I don't really like though.
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Who gives a crap about what "genre" it is? Is it just not cool to listen to a certain genre or what? Is it a popularity thing ("If you don't listen to so-and-so, you're not cool")?

I've never understood the whole genre thing. If it's good music, who gives a crap who it is or what genre they fit into.
  18. Rex Brown of pantera has the best bass tone in my opinion...i totally model my tone after his...HES SOOO METAL!

sorry a little off topic but i couldnt help myself
  19. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    I'm not impressed by his's not THAT great...yes it is kinda cool, but certainly not unique. All I've ever heard of the band is stuff i've downloaded online, so maybe they're different live. either way, I think some of you guys need to keep it in your pants, soon this emo-crap thing will be over with and real music will storm rock stations once again!! incubus forever! :) :p
  20. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well the cat in Thursday has a cool tone but its basically just the "signature" warwick growl. He gets his tone a lil dirty sometimes which is cool but its nothing special. They probably just recorded it really good. Live I didn't even hear him much to be honest. I heard mainly guitars and drums and the vocals and bass were so drowned out.....(this was in a kid's basement)

Thursday's vocals are a bit whiney and "kid" like but i can get past it. I like the screaming the other guy does. When the main dood starts to scream he sounds like a crying girl. I still dig it though.

At The Drive In was a cool band also, reminded me of Quicksand. They broke up I think...

Anyone out there check out The Cancer Conspiracy yet?

stream the music, its quite interesting sounding. Something a little different, they are an all instrumental band. One guy use to be in Drowning Man (another cool band). Oh well have fun! :D