Sickest Jazz Song or Cd!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by metalguy2, Aug 31, 2005.

1. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Here post names of obscure jazz music that kicks ass. Forget milestones like Giant Steps, Jaco Pastorius, or Bitches Brew, Weather Report. Forget Victor Wooten exists, and that Stu Hamm was ever born. Steve Smith was never in Journey.. Who is Medeski Martin and Wood?! Allan Holdsworth who?
    POST AWAY!!!

Don't forget to link me to MP3's :p
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  3. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I'm seriously digging the work of a band called Esbjörn Svensson Trio, but i'm relatively new to jazz outside of the legends =P
  4. pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    EST is the shiznaz (or something like that). You just gotta love Dan Berglund's bowed, distorted upright parts. And the interplay is simply amazing. Catch them live, if you haven't already, you won't regret it.

I like them cause they're so far from the standard jazz trio. You could apply Weather Report's old slogan "we always solo and we never solo" to them.
    Definitly a +1 on this one.
  5. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    + 1 for Fima Ephron! He has a great original voice on his instrument :bassist: Matt Garrison is another....just plain deep!
    I'm old.....I don't do MP3's.....I go to used C.D. shops ;)
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I realy wouldn't consider it as really obscure and I know The Rippingtons are considered Jazz 'light' but they did a song called "Curves Ahead" that I consider genius! I've never heard a song like it before nor since!
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Really? How so?
    I haven't played Lunar Crush in about a year...I do recall a lot of it to be Rockin'.
    Ephron's bass playing on his other projects(SHT, Hasidic New Wave, Lost Tribe, his solo disc, etc) take some 'thinking', IMO.
    "Stoopid" bass, to me, would be something like Chris Wood on Scofield's Ago-go album.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not sure just how 'obscure' they are anymore-
    John Zorn's Naked City...& check out the tune called "Asylum". The definition of 'sickness' being played by 'Jazz' players, IMO.
  10. anyone heard of jacob fred jazz odyssey? i dunno how popular they are, but i saw them once on BET jazz live at the knitting factory, and they are really good...everyone in the band is just plain amazing, and the bass guy uses a whammy! how cool is that?! after hearing them, i have a whole new perspective on music!
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999

I like them very much! I also saw them on BET, and went out and bought a few of thier C.D.'s.............I was not disappointed.
  12. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Awesome! :)
    If they ever come to the UK then I may well try and catch them, they're wonderful.
  13. You stole mine!!! These guys are like a hyper-active MMW.
  14. I will submit any project David Fiuczynski is connected to for a topic that has the words "Sick" and "Jazz."
  15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Here's some gems:

Fusion 80 - A one-off project with 4 members of Magma that just kicks ass! The participants:

Didier Lockwood - Violin
    Christian Vander - Drums
    Benoit Weidemann - Keys
    Janick Top - Bass

Gateway I - Killer ECM release from 1975 with John Abercrombie, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. Abercrombie gets this positively SPOOKY tone!
  16. dirty dozen brass band