1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sicko (The upcoming Michael Moore movie.)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I will see it

36.4%
  2. I will not see it

24.7%
  3. Maybe

17.5%
  4. I don't care (carrots)

21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Your opinions?

If this gets too out of control please move it to The Lobby.

2. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    I think it's great that he's reporting on it.

Apparently the Bush administratin is pissed that he went to Cuba and are investigating him regardless of the fact that he was there for legitimate reasons (form of journalism).

I hope that America comes together and pushes the growing issue of medical care. Hopefully they'll also socialize it in order to alleviate the profit-seeking aspect of medicine.

I just hope people don't dismiss it as a political issue amongst Democrats and Republicans.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Um... What's it s'posed to be about? I saw one commercial that caught my attention, but I really couldn't tell what it's supposed to be about.

4. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The American health care system.

5. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006

Michael Moore films this documentary in order to inform the public about the broken system of medical insurance and the medical industry in general.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm genuinely interested in this. I hope we get a discussion going without too much of a flamefest. :)

7. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    I will see it. I haven't heard about it yet (films come later here in Norway), but if it's about corruption in the health care system:scowl: ,then more power to those that can reveal it.

8. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Heres some clips

Part 1

9. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    Not finished watching the clips yet, but just gotta say; Michael Moore does a Good job! A nation is only great when it truly cares about those in need!

10. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    funny how I think of cuss words when I hear the words "insurance company"

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'll see it. I enjoyed his other two documentaries. And Canadian Bacon, which ruled.

Graeme

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Drink the Kool Aid boys...

The Canadians say it's lie-filled bag full of crap:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/215801

-------------------------

Cuban ex-pat doctors say it a lie-filled bag of crap:

[​IMG]

-------------------------

And, the best the American apologists for Moore can do is say that Cuba's poverty is a good thing!

From the same NYTimes article cited above:

In other words, typical Moore -- A manipulative, lie-filled propagandistic bag of America-bashing crap.

Why does anybody believe anything this A-hole says, anyway?????

13. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    I'll probably see it, since I could really use some health insurence. I just turned 19 and now I'm off my father's plan.

14. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    you got some cool quotes there man.........

15. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    :eyebrow: because they are sick and don't have insurance?

16. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    Why such anger? Do you work for the insurance companies?

I think it's great that we're at least QUESTIONING the validity of these industries. We should definitely change the industry to a non-profit system. What have YOU got to lose?

By the way, questioning America's status quo is probably the most American thing you could do. That's the only reason why America is what it is today.

17. I find myself agreeing with you more and more bub.

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Nice defense -- But "questioning" the status quo does not include lying about it to push one's own policy agenda. It also does not include bashing one's own country and comparing it unfavorably to Communist-dictatorship third-world nations. Moore is a liar. He is a manipulator. He is a propagandist...

Come to think of it, I guess it takes an ***hole like Moore to produce such crap!

What have I got to lose? Not just me, but you too -- Do you have any idea what our taxes would be if you and I and everybody else who works for a living had to pay for universal health care?

Don't get me wrong -- I think our system has serious flaws that need to be fixed. But, Moore's lying isn't going to get the job done. It's just going to set up opposing camps that are spending too much screaming at each other to actually focus on the question at hand. If Moore really wanted to fix anything, he'd shut up -- He's too divisive a figure to lead a civil and productive discussion.

Questioning the status quo? Absolutely! Doing it with lies and misinformation to achieve one's own selfish ends? (Read that to mean "Moore's greed and need for attention.") Crap. Just crap. Nothing but crap. Crap and nothing else.

19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    So, they believe a liar, because they don't have insurance and he'd telling them what they want to hear?

That's just sad...

20. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    He didn't lie. Certain specific facts may be debatable WITHIN THE CONTEXT THEY'RE PRESENTED IN.

What facts SPECIFICALLY are debatable to you? What SPECIFICALLY? Do you just not like the man's work, his point of view, or his argument? Let's get this straight. Don't bash HIM, only his message.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.