1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sid Vicious is to Bass Guitar as ("musician") is to (their musical instrument)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazznrick, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello fellow TB'ers,
    I have been on a Gary Oldman binge recently and finally got around to watching Sid and Nancy. I previously thought Sid Vicious was just a bad bassist, now I'm convinced he was an insult to our instrument. He couldn't play and it was obvious to musicians he couldn't.
    So I offer you all this question- If you're going to pretend to be a musician, is bass the best instrument to go for? Are there and other bassists as bad as him? Most importantly, have there been other moderate to highly successful "musicians" who completely sucked at their instruments?
    Sid Vicious is to Bass Guitar as ("musician") is to (their musical instrument)

FRoss6788 likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Curt Cobain was to guitar..... and singing.

Kmonk, Keger Jupit, slapshot and 10 others like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That’s pretty harsh, imho. You may not enjoy the product, but Cobain could at least play.

I think Milli Vanilli to vocals is more appropriate

4. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Neil Young.

rtav, Keger Jupit, MynameisMe and 4 others like this.
  5. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow. Neil is the real deal. That man can play the hell out of a guitar. Not to mention tickle the ivories.

Looks like we are getting a popularity contest going. How long until someone posts Gene?

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We'll just have to disagree. I think Curt had a shtick that resonated with a lot of disenfranchised boys. But he couldn't sing. Period. (To me). And if he could actually play guitar, he chose not to as part of his shtick. He just banged out a bunch of out-of-town power chords to me.

I think he fits the OP's question perfectly.

JoshS, Gluvhand, mdogs and 6 others like this.
  7. I have to disagree. I am speaking of incompetence bordering on negligence, as demonstrated by Sid Vicious. I watched Nirvana live on SNL on YouTube recently and Kurt does not meet my aforementioned criteria.

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    He meets mine. :D

9. PMagers

PMagers Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Philly, Philadelphia
    image.

JC Nelson, fjbass78, JimK and 9 others like this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nah, Kurt was a pretty average guitar player, at best. He was a fantastic songwriter though. Hate on Gene's playing all you want but his lines are well-above his peers. Kiss has a lot of great melodic bass lines. Their songwriting, on the other hand, is where the criticism comes in.

Helix, JoshS, Doctor Intrepid and 2 others like this.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

12. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't hate on Gene. That was my point - how long until someone does?

BTW, it was Neil Young that I was saying is a virtuoso, not Cobain.

13. Someone will hate on Gene eventually. Regardless of some really cool bass lines. They're a love/hate group and no in between allowed.

How about as Richie Cunningham was to keyboards!

JimK, MynameisMe and mikewalker like this.
  14. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Sid hit the nail on the head. Squarely. His playing was brilliantly perfect for the cause and he and the band thankfully blew to pieces spectacularly.
    Sure he couldn't play, that wasn't the point after all and he'll live on as a legend gross incompetence.
    The King is dead but not forgotten. :) Neil got it....

15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Anyone chooses his/her instrument him/herself.

16. I can't really think of anybody in a major band who was as incompetent as Sid Vicious is alleged to have been.

17. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    As Lou Reed was to singing??

rtav, mdogs, Turbo Sparky and 2 others like this.
  18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Wow. I now have less respect for a few of you. I didn't think that was possible.

Geri O, MattZilla, mrcbass and 16 others like this.
  19. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    take your pick of any auto-tuned singers and or pro-tooled sterilized quantized reliant “bands” out there.

its one thing to use those tools in the studio it’s another to not be able to perform without them

Dabndug, JimK, OzzyGreg and 2 others like this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Until now I never made that connection. The Shaggs are... Sid Vicious, albeit without bass guitar, sex, or heroin. It's obvious!

DiabolusInMusic likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.