1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Side Gigs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by billhilly66, Mar 16, 2010.

1. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Side gigs are getting harder to come by it seems. I’ve got a house gig in a 7 piece band on Sat. at a big ol’ TX honkytonk that pays way too well to give up but I sure would like to find more work during the week. Most of the gigs around during the week are “other than country” though and the guys in the house band either don’t want any more work or don’t switch hit well with other styles. I sure miss the days when the guys I was playing with were interchangeable.

I’ve managed to pick up lots of fill in work in the country scene and a few rock, blues, and variety gigs here and there but so far, nothing steady. My Sat. commitment knocks me out of most working deals and I don’t want to do the rehearse more than you work deal. I’m supposed to hook up with a classic rock band Sunday night at the jam they host and see what happens. I told them about my commitments and they said come out anyway so maybe I can at least pick up a Sun. night out of the deal.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Being in more than one band is like dating two different women. One takes over the other eventually.

IMO, IME, YMMV, etc.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I have a main group, but I do a lot of "hired gun" gigs as well, which are my favorite. There's no pressure, usually I don't have to rehearse, a lot of times there are charts, and I can name my own price.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I am in 3 bands.
    Myself and the keyboard player are in all 3.
    The 2 of us and the guitar player and drummer are in 2.
    As there is a lot of overlap, double booking doesn't happen. Makes it a little easier.
    I do occasional "hire gun" gigs, but there aren't many of those that pop up in this small town.

5. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Where you at in ND? I used to play all over the state back in the 90's. Minot, Bismark, Dickinson, Fargo (got a buddy in "The Roosters"), Williston, and even Noonan.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    This is a very good point. If there is at least one other person in your main band with which you share another side project, then it's not just you always being put on the spot to choose one band or the other.

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I'm in Grand Forks. Playing mostly jazz these days, but some pop/rock cover stuff and a soul/R&B horn band - maybe - if it comes together.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    billhilly66,

I feel for you...I used to be able to pick up 1 or 2 weeknights easily here in the Boston area, but no more. :help:

Summertime is the only busy season because of the park concerts and wedings, winter is time to catch up on my reading :spit:

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I have three bands and the jam group. None of the bands work enough to suit me. I should be playing two or three times a week, but the other bandmates, for various, either won't or can't. Sometimes, I think I should drop one of them and pick up a country gig, just so I can get paid.

Guitarist in main project wants both drummer and myself to quit all other bands and the jam. We both told him that he has a good day job, but we don't, and until he can pay us $20K a year or better to play only for him, we'll play for anyone we please, thanks. He only books us once a month, won't let us book anything, won't record a demo because its not "perfect" yet...ARGH!!! Some huevos he has, asking us to quit the other bands!

cherie

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I know which band I'd quit...

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good answer. When the person in charge of bookings is also the member who wants to play the fewest gigs, that's not a formula for success.

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    He let the drummer book a gig! A good-paying gig! At this moment, you could knock me right over with a feather.

Cherie

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    His wife told me he is already looking for replacements for me and the drummer, because we won't quit our other bands. She told him, "Why can't you just be happy? You have two good bandmates who like you and are trying hard to work with you. You won't find greener pastures elsewhere, so why do you mess with 'em? Why can't you be happy to have a band, period?"

I told her that he'll get back around to us. He won't find anyone who will do what he wants for the money he's paying, so I'm not worried.

Cherie

14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I still don't know why you stay. If he's looking just go. And if the money isn't good enough where he'll find someone else, why is it good enough for you? Sounds like you are worthy/deserving of a better gig.

15. IMHO, any bass player who is worth their weight is in at least two bands. One may be more active at any given time, and one might be more serious then the others. I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket, especially when I can make a few extra bucks using 2 or 3 baskets.

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

2 acts are doable.. time by time sit ins are an option.

17. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i am in 2 bands & i do fill in work. it is getting very busy for me. but i also do not care what type of music i play.

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    At a time when dollars are tight, I won't turn down any gig I can reasonably take, and he's paying more than anyone else I'm with right now. Plus I know all his songs, and have no trouble playing new originals he comes up with.

I'm taking the attitude of, well, I have two other bands, so if he shucks the drummer and me off on some quest for his ideal "tribe" of a band, that's ok. He's running after a vision, and there's no talking him out of it. He's just going to have to go through it. If he finds what he's looking for, then I'll be happy for him.

If he wants me to play again later, which I think he will, then, hey, cool. If I'm available. ;)

The drummer and I work *really* well together and know each other very well, and I have no doubt that if we lose this job, we can make another one right quick-like. We know a lot of people we could call upon to go play and get something working quickly.

Cherie :bassist:

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Two or three baskets, and a mule to carry them with! I know very few working bassists who are only in one band. And those guys who are have super-heavy schedules that preclude them being in other projects. Which is great work if you can get it!

Cherie :bassist:

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Ayup. You can't be married to a genre. I play country, blues, rock from every decade from the '50's until now, funk, disco...anything I can learn and hold a groove on, I'll play.

Even the songs I hate. LOL!

Cherie

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020