Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Side man or band member

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Groovski, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    I have been chasing the dream here in Nashville fer some time now. I play in a band where I am a leading member of the band. Equal but a leader in the band. My cousin in-law plays bass for Travis Tritt and told me about a year ago about an audition he could get me for Trisha Yearwood. I have been with the same band for many years and we are possibly about there. I write a large portion of our material, which brings up the question, Would you rather be a sideman playing bass for an artist or working a day job playing in you own band chasing a dream?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If you do the sideman thing for a while might that open a door for your other band in time?

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I choose "sideman with a day job."

Seriously, I am really digging the sideman-status thing, though my gig is many steps down the ladder from a Tritt or Yearwood type job!

Oh, and I'm in before the thread gets pushed over to Misc. or Management and Performance forum -- w00t!

:D

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Keith Horne has been playing bass with Yearwood for awhile...is he leaving? Just wondering.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    my dream would be to be a sideman for my favorite artist.

-Mike

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Take the Tony Levin route and do both.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Music related off to misc.

8. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    This was about a year maybe 2 ago, It was my understanding that Keith didn't want to sing anymore so she fired him. Scott Simpson (Travis Tritt) said he could get me a tryout. My band is NOT COUNTRY, (thank God) and we do pretty well. So its either play someone elses lines and be bored or keep making head way on the ever elusive DREAM.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    in re Trisha: to my understanding, Trisha is not on the road anymore. she's kicken' back with Garth. my oldest brother was her front of house eng for a tour or two.

she's really nice. i took a picture with her one time and grabbed her ass on accident (she's a tall girl). i was a little embarrassed. :D

her old guitar tech was responsible for getting me a Fender P-Deluxe and having Willie Weeks play on if for a week (he plays with Vince Gill). the cool thing about this guitar tech is that he works with the Aguilar people and gets you really nice gear to travel with.

just another useless post by me.

you have been goosed!!! :D

10. Thor

I believe you just answered your own question.
    Do what you makes you happy. You can't spend
    life doing gigs you don't care about.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    And if that argument doesn't do it, here's another one:

NJL, a friend of mine just told me that Trisha is getting ready to record a new album. He's written a song and his publisher has told him he's going to get it to Trisha, so she can listen to it and possibly record it. I'll believe it when I see (hear) it, but the song is called "Shatterproof Heart."

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If it is a sideman on something of that stature, definitely go that route. The crappiest of high paying, financially secure gigs is better than a 9-5 any day.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Let's see... you're in Nashville chasing the dream, you thank God you don't play Country music AND you're wondering whether pursuing a gig with one of Country music's biggest stars is the way to go? And you're in NASHVILLE?

Maybe you could explain what dream you're chasing and why you're doing it there?

If "I" were striving for a fulltime career as a bassist I'd jump on the TY gig in a heartbeat. Without hesitation. What's the downside? Yes, you'd have to travel. Practically any successful band does. You'd be surrounded by world class musicians in that genre... any idea how good that looks on a resume? You might actually have a ball playing with those world class musicians. It could happen. You'd be approached by gear manufacturers for possible endorsements.

No, you probably wouldn't get a chance to showcase any "advanced techniques" like three handed tapping or rapid fire multi-timbral slap.... AND?

Hey, if you really like your current situation, stay with it. OTOH it sounds like you don't see the TY gig as the tremendous stepping stone it might be.

14. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Well my band plays what we call Southwestern Rock (original material). We have been together for a long time. I'm 36 and the baby of the band. The TY gig is not open to me at this point, I was offered an audition about a year or 2 ago. Its not for me to decide anymore, I just wondered what yall thought. My band is my Project.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So... which would you rather be?

:D

16. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Already made that decision about a year or 2 ago. Didn't ever consider trying out for her. Although my girlfriend and everybody else was like, "WHAT? this would get you playing for a living." Sorry folks, my heart is in my band.:D

17. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Amen, brother. Dreams are great to have but they don't pay the bills.

18. Thor

Would it be presumptous to think that
    Groov has a job that pays the bills and he
    would rather play the music he wants? And likes?

Actually, I can understand this. I like my job. It pays reasonably well. Probably, a lot more
    than I would make as a sideman.

I also have the boredom factor. I could never function playing 'Freebird' or its country
    equivalent on a daily basis, repetitively.
    The music I like best is what no one would pay
    for, the stuff that gets my blood pumping and
    tickles my imagination, and allows me to
    explore my musical limits.

Having to work professionally playing commercially
    appealing music for the masses would probably stunt all my creative juices, and ruin my appetite for music.

Kind of like the job I had when I had to do research on the taste qualities of frozen
    scallops. Needless to say, 25 years later,
    scallops are not high on my list of favorite
    proteins...

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I would have taken the gig, tried to stick it out long enough to make it noteworthy on my musical resume, then made a choice on whether to stay or move on.

That seems to be the best of both worlds.

OTOH, you probably made the right decision for you... Chasing your dream can't be a bad thing... Just so long as you are not running over your friends and family in the process.

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Being the leader of my own band (contemporary jazz), and playing with a bunch of great cats who're all fine players who I like, and having alot invested both financially and emotionally, let me just say that if I were offered an audition for anyone of the calibre of a Trisha Yearwood for a road gig I would jump at that opportunity so fast you'd think my pants were on fire and my ass was catchin'.

If any of my bandmates passed up an opportunity like that, I'd fire them for being such a moron. I mean, if you're that dunb, it's only a matter of time before you do something stupid enough to mess up my band.

Musicians have a far better chance (up from "impossible" to "improbable") of success as a sideman than as a member of a band just starting out. Before everyone starts listing all the bands that have "made" it, think of the 16 trillion bands that have not.

I would tell any young musician silly enough to ask for my advice to move to either LA, Nashville or New York, not necessarily in that order, and follow down any lead and take any audition that comes along and always, always put your own career aspirations before anyone else's.