Side projects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Apr 9, 2002.

1. This doesn't involve me, but it involves my former band (that involve my 3 best friends)

The bass player in my former band writes amazing songs, not just straightforward punk stuff, its full of metaphors and such. Its a lot like Saves the Day type stuff.

He is mainly a guitarist, but plays bass in the band, and he is much better at his acoustic then on bass.

He and another friend of mine *Mike* (a real good bassist) started a side project, in which cody plays acoustic and sings (new songs and songs that my former band plays) and Mike plays double bass.

The problem is is that this side project has only played one free show, but it drew more people then Bottlewink ever drew. Everyone loves it.

Many coffee houses and clubs want them to play more shows. Cody wants to add a piano and a violin to the mix. Cody wants to have some songs only played with the side project, and not played with Bottlewink.

My 2 other friends are pissed cause this side project is taking time from the main band, is drawing bigger crowds, and is *stealing* songs from them.

What do you believe the ethics are in side projects. Who is *right* here?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If a band member isn't devoting enough time to a particular band for whatever reason, the other band members should warn him, and then replace him if necessary. If they don't want to replace him (or can't), they should just deal, with as little resentment as possible.

I didn't really understand the stealing songs part. Cover tunes are fair game... competing bands steal ideas for cover songs all the time. For example my #2 band plays a cover medley which was pretty much stolen intact by another band, but what the heck. Admittedly, if Band A is playing, say, a jazz version of Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" and Band B decides to do the very same thing then that's pretty lame... but it happens.

By that token, turnabouts are fair play... this Cody fellow shouldn't be able to dictate what covers either band plays, unless he's bandleader.

As for originals: if Cody wrote the tunes, they're his to do with as he wishes. OTOH, stealing originals that others wrote is evil.