Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Side Scrolls?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassaholic, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bassaholic

bassaholic

Mar 7, 2004
    Hi, I am making my first bass right now, and the biggest obstacle I've come to so far is the side scrolls. Does anyone know a trick or two to make really good scrolls, or maybe a template or something? Also, I am using Bubinga wood for the body, and its very dense, so any advice on cutting out the scrolls would be much appreciated.

P.S. heres some pics of what I mean.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v396/bassaholic/?action=view&current=13246_upviewL.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v396/bassaholic/?action=view&current=13246_sideomegaL.jpg

2. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I would think a band saw with a small blade or a scroll saw to rough it in, then break out the sandpaper and finish it off. nJust a thought though. I am still in the planning stage of my first project.

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Use a band saw to cut the shape then route it with the rest of the body. Or you can use a handheld jig saw. Either will work.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    One word - router template. Make a template for the entire body shape and use the router to cut it out. That's how I made a violin bass shape. Not as fancy as the one in your pictures, but the same concept.

5. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Ummmm, Thats two words :)

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I forgot to use the registered trademark symbol.

Correction: One word® - router template

7. Those tight curves are real tricky! and a bandsaw/jigsaw will have kind of a hard time on them. I remove the excess with a jigsaw and then get it to the line with a microplane surform. The ideal and fast way is to remove the excess with a bandsaw and final shape with a router and template, but we don't always have templates for all the curves we make, right?

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I was thinking, would a drum sander work? You'd have to be REALLY careful, but it seems like you could have a lot of control.

But, at any rate, I suggest asking the wood crew at Alembic for advice.