Side Scrolls?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassaholic, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bassaholic

bassaholic

Mar 7, 2004
    Hi, I am making my first bass right now, and the biggest obstacle I've come to so far is the side scrolls. Does anyone know a trick or two to make really good scrolls, or maybe a template or something? Also, I am using Bubinga wood for the body, and its very dense, so any advice on cutting out the scrolls would be much appreciated.

P.S. heres some pics of what I mean.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v396/bassaholic/?action=view&current=13246_upviewL.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v396/bassaholic/?action=view&current=13246_sideomegaL.jpg

2. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I would think a band saw with a small blade or a scroll saw to rough it in, then break out the sandpaper and finish it off. nJust a thought though. I am still in the planning stage of my first project.

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Use a band saw to cut the shape then route it with the rest of the body. Or you can use a handheld jig saw. Either will work.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    One word - router template. Make a template for the entire body shape and use the router to cut it out. That's how I made a violin bass shape. Not as fancy as the one in your pictures, but the same concept.

5. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Ummmm, Thats two words :)

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I forgot to use the registered trademark symbol.

Correction: One word® - router template

7. Those tight curves are real tricky! and a bandsaw/jigsaw will have kind of a hard time on them. I remove the excess with a jigsaw and then get it to the line with a microplane surform. The ideal and fast way is to remove the excess with a bandsaw and final shape with a router and template, but we don't always have templates for all the curves we make, right?

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I was thinking, would a drum sander work? You'd have to be REALLY careful, but it seems like you could have a lot of control.

But, at any rate, I suggest asking the wood crew at Alembic for advice.