Sidelined by Tendinitis

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 26, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got pain in my wrists, right elbow and shoulder, from guitar and bass playing I presume...usually flares up around a half hour to twenty minutes of playing in my wrists...spend a lot of the day typing and tendinitis runs in my this is basically a preliminary assumption.

However, I have most symptoms of tendinitis from and having the inflamation wouldn't surprise me in the least...I don't warm up well. I see the doctor on Thursday...but so far everyone I've spoken to tells me to rest my wrists as much as I can...not play guitar so I packed up three basses, two electrics and an acoustic...wrap my wrists when not using them and when pain is severe to take Ibuprofen. Among these people were two general practice doctors and three bassists.

I'm not too excited about not playing guitar for about a month, but I don't want to suffer from more severe tendinitis than I have I've packed them up...cancelled all engagements for the month of May, and have my fingers crossed for everything after that.

But the optomist in me won't let me give up...I ordered a diatonic harmonica and I'm gonna let my lips do the work for a month :D Hope for the best, as am I and I'll keep you guys informed on the hopefully good news.

By the way, do any of you have any warmup routines you wouldn't mind sharing?
  2. meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    I know your frustration. I have been dealing with tendonitis-like problems from my neck down to both arms for over a year. Problems are at their worst when I write with a pen or type. I tried to stop playing for a month, but as I was still typing and writing, the rest from playing only made me sloppy. I'm not saying this to indicate rest is a bad idea, but to suggest that you consider really resting, if you can.

How do you feel typing? If you have any of the same symptoms doing something besides playing bass, these activities should not go ignored. Do you feel you carry excessive tension in your body?

Instead of warmups, I try to be aware of how I am using my body and of any awkward positions I unnessecarily put myself in while playing. If the doctor's route yields no results after some time, my suggestion would be to try the Alexander Technique. While it has not cured me yet, it looks like the best solution I have pursued.

Good luck, bass brother! You will solve your physical problems and be a better person as a result of it!