sidewinder pickup in eb-o bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pike66, Aug 31, 2001.

1. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    hi all!
    since epiphone's short scale eb-o has just one pickup, i know it's "not extremely versatile".
    but, i'm not buying the bass because it's a swiss army knife. i'm buying it because of the sound.
    besides "versatility", what are other negative, or in fact positive things that can be said of the single sidewinder?
    i'm about to order this bass, and love epiphone, so we'll see. any info would be greatly apprecitated.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I haven't tried an EB-0, but I like the simplicity of the
    one pup, volume & tone setup. Makes ya' develop your
    own "tone" controls (fingers :) ).

There are a few reviews at Harmony Central -- click here,
    and one at the B.G.R.A. (Bass Gear Review Archive) -- click.

Later on, you could drop in a DiMarzio Model One (DP120)
    or Will Power Neck (DP145). They both have 4-conductor
    wiring for switching options. The Model One seems to have
    a notch more bass response.
  3. Agree, Model One is more articulate in deep, fat lower end and strings spacing is little narrower, so it would be the best choice for neck PU. On th eother hand blending it with WP adds crazy growl to bass that is already :bassist:growling and :bassist:barking by itself.
    Amazing that these pickups are not very popular nowdays.
  4. brainburst

Jan 10, 2012
    bronx ny
    I have come into possession of an EPI EB3 that had been gutted so the choice is between EPI sidewinder, Original Gibson or Dimarzio replacements.
    Has anybody here actually used these pickups?
    Is the Dimarzio really better or just different from the stock epi sidewinders? For cosmetic reasons I really would prefer to go with the Chrome Epi Sidewinders or Gibsons. The dimarzios are just UGLY!)
    Plus doesn't the sidewinder give more of a single coil sound than the standard side by side arrangement of the DP120? (At least that's the theory with Fralin sidewinder p90's)
  5. countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    A better option IMO is a Telebass from Fender or Squier. Ergonomics of the Fenders are better and they don't neck dive. Or, better yet, add a sidewinder to a P or a J. I built a Tele-P and a Tele-J using Squier body & neck. For the sidewinder I used the Artec which is available from Guitar Parts Resource or Allparts. Its a good sounding pickup but you might have to mess with the wiring or magnets to get it right. Some are wired backwards and some have the magnets on backwards. There is a thread on this topic which guides you through the fix.
  6. darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I believe SGD can do replacement upgrade pups for those ebo mudbuckers to.