1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Siegmund Midnight Blues Breaker w/ JBL D130 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meestro, Apr 23, 2009.

1. meestro

meestro

Dec 2, 2008
    If some of you are familiar with Siegmund's stuff...you're probably thinking "The guy makes guitar amps...not for bass". I made sure to consult with him before plugging in, but he said my existing rig would actually go very well with bass as the JBL is a full range speaker. He was right! I have a Midnight Bluesbreaker Octal custom (v1 tube is a 6SL7 octal tube, then a couple mullards, and KT66's currently...solid state plug rectifier). The cabinet is one he made from solid African Mahogany. Same dimensions as an AC-30 extension cabinet, but as if it was on it's side...houses an original JBL D130 from 1950, I believe. The 2 are a match made in heaven! The 'Blues Breaker' is differentiated from his Midnnight Blues line because it has the lower output transformer (35 or so watts max). A lot of people go for the larger 60w, or 100w models. I don't have the master turned up more than 4 and it's already crankin! The higher output Kent Armstrong P Bass pickup helps keep it hot, too.

It's my main guitar rig (acoustic and electric), and has been also a highly commissioned go-to keyboard rig lately. Definitely a full range amp and speaker setup. Perfect for recording or a live rig where you can mic the amp. I wouldn't want to crank the master too heavily, as I wouldn't want to have such low end constantly pounding the JBL. If I had a larger power transformer, I would probably push 2 JBL's, or maybe 1 JBL and 2 10"s.

This thing is SOOO warm. SOOO detailed. Usually the two don't work quite well, but it doesn't have the brittleness of a modern rig...Adds some nice hair to the cleans w/ a warm natural overdrive if you wish to push it.

I highly recommend considering the same setup for all bass players!

mbcustom.
    MikeCsm.