Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sig Jazz Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hateater, Jan 2, 2003.

Which Jazz Bass do you prefer?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2004.
  1. Geddy Lee

43 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Jaco Pastorius

35 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Marcus Miller

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    ok i hope this works. the question at hand here is which Signature Jazz bass do you prefer the most? My vote goes for the Geddy Lee Jazz bass!
    If the poll doesn't work, just post your fav!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Marcus Miller bass For me, I would recomend that the switch be rewired, that way it's a true passive bass as well as a active bass.:)

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I would vote for the Jaco simply because it's a US made and will always be worth more than the japan made ones. Also, I have played all 3, and the Jaco has more 'heft' to the feel and tone than the japan basses.

JMHO

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Roscoe Beck!!! :mad:

(Goes away muttering.....stupid polls!!)

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol, I reckon you purposefully choose options that aren't on the poll Bruce, just to voice your hatred of polls :D

I would choose the Moley signature bass, but for three small problems: 1) It wasn't one of the options. 2) I don't have a Fender Jazz. 3) There's no such thing as the Moley signature bass.

Failing that, the Jaco one, just because he's the only player of those three that I am really familiar with, and because the sig bass is a fretless.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, a lot of the Jaco sigs I've seen, are fretted!! ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Really? Oh. Well the ones I've seen on the Fender site are fretless. Or maybe they're available in both fretted & fretless. I'm not sure. I think the "Relic" one is fretless. It even has the chipped paint etc.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think we might be talking about two differnet things - I have seen a Relic one, (fender Custom Shop) but these are really expensive - £2,600 - for a beaten up 4-string Jazz - I don't think so!!

But there is a standard one which is fretted and a lot cheaper.

But - don't you know that Jaco said the tone was all in his hands anyway! ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

[​IMG]

Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass®
    019-6200xxx (rosewood)
    Jaco Pastorius was a beacon for generations of aspiring bass players, bridging the gaps between R&B, rock, jazz, classical and Caribbean musics. He changed the musical world with his uncanny gifts and visionary approach to the instrument. And he did it with one fundamental tool - a Fender Jazz Bass.

Fretless Model also available:
    019-9208xxx (clear coated Pao Ferro)

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Geddy Lee is My favorite Fender bass. Period. :)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, I'm aware there are 2 different ones, the ordinary Jaco sig, and the relic one. I definitely wouldn't pay £2,600 for a beaten up Fender Jazz. I wouldn't pay that for the very one that Jaco played. I personally don't really see the point in sig basses. I'm not trying to be Jaco, and I'm not trying to look like him. Why would I want a bass that looks just like his old one. And anway, as you say, it's all in the hands. You're not gonna sound as good as Jaco just because you've got a Jaco sig bass - and certainly not because you've got one with authentic chipped paint.

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I tend to like the Marcus Miller. Mine has the U-retro deluxe, so I have both active and passive controls. Mine also has a 1 piece ash body.

[​IMG]

-KB

13. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's why I like the Roscoe Beck idea as there you have a great player trying to create someting different that doesn't exist in the range, but has uniquely useful features and that he hopes others will also find useful and desirable.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too.:)

15. Mark Hoppus!!! Why isnt he on there?! He iz teh bestest bassist in da wh0le world! :mad:

:D

I vote for Jaco, but I like how that Marcus Miller Jazz looks.. :)

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Sorry about not including Roscoe, Mark and Mr. Baily... i decided which jazz basses are the most popular and went with those.f

18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have the Jaco Sig. fretless. Its made from a beautiful piece of Alder. The coated fingerboard gives it great tone and feel. Jaco's signature is on the neck plate on the back of the bass. Its a great instrument whether your a Jaco fan or not.

19. Bruce Lindfield

How did you do that - what statistics is this based on and where are they published?

I would have said that the RB5 has sold a lot and a lot of people who post around her consider it the best passive Fender 5 string ever produced.

This just sounds "lazy" to me?

20. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Bruce Lindfield- that hurt man!! :( :( :(

I originally put down that if you liked any other better than feel free to write it in but I believe i deleted that! Sorry to dissapoint you.