1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

*sigh* another band breakup

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, May 16, 2011.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Got a call from my drummer today - he's leaving. We're just a power trio and he's the one with the practice space, so it pretty much means the project is over. I'll have to see if the guitarist wants to keep going, recruit a new drummer and carry on, or what. He's a really good drummer, but he's also doing another band and, with a full-time job and a family, doesn't want to juggle two bands, and we're the one that lost out.

Kind of pissed because he and I decided together to pull the plug on the last band we were in and start a new project on our terms. Looks like I'm headed back to CL to find someone to play with...

Y'know, it doesn't seem like it should be so hard to just get some guys together, put 40 songs on a set list and go play out. Back to the drawing board...

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Bummer. It always sucks when a band breaks up right before summer. So many good places to play then. Good luck looking.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Sorry to hear that man. Is it impossible for either you or your guitarist to provide a rehearsal space for sometime? Perhaps you can find a new drummer who has a place you guys can jam at?

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    That might be the issue here. Theres a lot more to this than just finding some guys and putting 40 songs together.

blue

5. hrodbert696

Thanks y'all. We very well may - waiting to hear the guitarist's reaction and see what happens.

I know that. That was not my sum total thoughts on how to put a band together and make it work, it was my pissed-off outburst at this one going under. Context, people, context.

The group would have needed work -- I don't know how much people pay attention to who's posting what, but I threw out our prospective play list a few weeks back and folks rightly saw that there were a lot of problems with it. Still, I had hopes that we would have ironed it all out.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Cool, hopefully you can recruit members that understand;

That your looking for someone that is a good player and understands commitment to a band. That you are professional and enjoy having a good time performing at some of the best venues in your area.

7. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Yup, starting over is a royal pain in the... but it's worth it.
    Hang in there

8. TWolf

TWolf

Jan 20, 2011
    The Deep South
    I feel your pain brother. Been there.

9. hrodbert696

Thanks, y'all. Working on some prospects -- a keys/singer and a guitarist, separately, both thinking about 90s-present covers so hopefully, if I get along playing with each, I can merge them into a band. Then all we need is a decent drummer. My church has offered to let me use the building for free practice space so I have that to offer. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile I've got time to woodshed.