Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sigh, i always know less than i thought i did

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Sep 29, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ive been going through some of the posts here, and i relized i know nothing (even less nothing then before, it seems). So i need some help.

What do the following words mean, and how do they relate to bass:

chords

modes

harmonics

more to come! also, i know that a key is what tells you how many sharps/flats in a piece of music, and that the circle of fifths tells you how many sharps/flats in that key, but i wasnt sure about the relation between keys and scales. Are all scales in that key (eg, C major scale is in key of C major, A minor scale is in the key of A minor, etc.)? when im trying to write basslines, should they stick to the notes in a single key, or should i try variations?

Finally, i feel as though ive hit a plateau in my skill. Learning songs is fun, but is a little boring now, and so ive decided to turn to theory, ear training and learning to read sheet music to build my musicianship. Am i on the right track? If so, how should i go about doing these things? If not, what is the right track?

This thread is not complete, as i have more questions i will keep posting them here.

Thanks for any feedback given

peace

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I done a far bit of study in Chords. A simple chord is a Triad, which may consist of 1-3-5. Bass players usually use chord patterns, and use these patterns to create Grooves of some sort. The diagram below is a C Major Triad Chord, where C (1) - E (3) - G (5). So chords are not the same as chords played by a rhythm guitarist, it's more about the pattern and the notes that can be used in grooves. Most of my bass playing is centered around chord patterns.
    Code:
    |  |  |  |
    |  E  |  |
    C  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  G  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    [U]|  |  |  |[/U]  12
    |  |  |  |

Chords also have Inversions, which basicly means that the notes are the same, but the pattern is reorganised using a different bass note. There are 3 basic inversion patterns of C Major Traid.
    You have the Root, which is the pattern above, and the 1st and 2nd inversion shown below.

1st inversion - bass note is E
    Code:
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  G  C
    |  |  |  |
    |  E  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    [U]|  |  |  |[/U]  12
    |  |  |  |

2nd inversion -bass note is G
    Code:
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  |
    |  |  |  E
    |  G  C  |
    |  |  |  |
    [U]|  |  |  |[/U]  12
    |  |  |  |

That's a quick intro on Chords.

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Wow. This is heavy. You might want to check out a website dedicated to introductory theory, otherwise the helpful folk at TB are going to be typing for a long, long time, and they have doughnuts to eat. Try BASSLOBSTER. Should get you headed in the right direction.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hm... I could go for a donut about now

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Yeah, a PLASTIC doughnut. Homo :D

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hmm, i knew this was alot to ask, i was hoping a moderator might jump in and save the day, ill wait and see.

For now anyone who doesnt feel like answering all of that what i really want to know is the answer to the last part of my question, how to practice both on and off the bass to become a better musician.

peace

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

you should talk! we all know where you've been.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I suggest you go up to the stickies at the top of this forum, then look in the one about knowledge and theory links, and open jazzbo's post on general chord/scale theory.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When writing basslines it's more important to outline the chord changes - you can't just pick "random" notes from a key - you have to say something about how the chords are moving!

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, a good approach to start with is... (in my opinion)

0) learn major and minor traids on the bass.
    C major triad will be C, E, G. The same 'shape' applied to any root note will give you a major traid built off that root
    C minor triad will be C, Eb, G. The same 'shape' applied to any root note will give you a minor traid built off that root

When learning a song

1) learn the root motion, i.e. all the root notes of the chords in the song, in the right order and for the right number of beats and bars :)

2) play the root motion using root and 5th, in the case C, the 5th is G. The 5th will always be in the same place in relation to the root.

3) start playing through those chords putting the rot on the 1st beat of the bar and experimenting with the major or minor chord tones on the other beats in the bar

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Here are a couple of very good online resources that should be able to help you in your quest for musical knowledge as it relates to the bass. ;)

This is a very good online Bass Instuction Book.

http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/

This is a good website with a lot of free online Bass Lessons. There are a number of good bass instructors who frequent there. The forums there are another good place to get info. ;)

http://www.activebass.com/

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:

12. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You can practice off the instrument by doing written excerises, like reproducing the chart below.

this is a chart (from left to right) that shows the sequence of circle of fifiths, the four main triads, and the 3 triad inversions.

[​IMG]

Let me know if there's mistakes in it. Cheers.

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    thanks, that bass book is great, it seems to be answering all my questions, if i have any more though ill put them here