1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

-sigh- its time to get the girl friend a birthday present(guitar content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DRN-PWNS, Mar 29, 2009.

1. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    It's my gf's birthday in 3 months, she just started playing guitar. She is learning on her dads old lawsuit guitar from the 60's. the neck is warped and thicker then a baseball bat. so I'm thinking ill get her something significantly better. I would like to get something with a floyd rose style trem and nut. she has a good amp already so that no worry:bassist::bassist::bassist:

oh and she gave me a new amp cab for x-mas i gotta return the favor xD

I'm thinking that i will buy her an esp mh-50 along with a hard case as well as sme other swag that i think she will enjoy.

any recommendations?

2. Verdauga

Verdauga

Mar 23, 2009
    It really depends on how much money you are willing to spend. In my experience, any LTD under 1000 aren't really that high quality of a guitar.

It might even be better to take her out to music stores for her birthday, give her a budget, and see what she wants. As you should know, instruments are very personal choices.

3. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    the real thing is i dont really have that much money to spend (unfortanatly) that and if i did that she would get choose something because of its cost not for its sound. so im going to play everything before i buy it, when i do i will make sure that i can return if she doesnt like it

4. Fender Strat?

5. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I am a bassist so I can only report what all the guitarists I know told me,that is exactly what Verdauga said,only change is the 400 series instead of the 1000 ;)

6. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    look at the squier classic vibe series stuff...ime, they have a higher build consistancy and still inexpensive ($320ish)

7. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    i was neever impressed with any strats that ive ever played. it looks like she might be getting an ibanez RG350DX or something very similar

8. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Perhaps a Japanese or Korean Squier Strat or Tele. Lots of bang for the buck there and since it may take some effort to hunt down a good one, you get some brownie points for your work and good judgement. Is the lawsuit bass, a Les Paul copy? Those do weigh a ton, anything lighter will make you a hero.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Saskatchewan
    I had an RG350DX a few years ago. It was a really good guitar for the price. I've heard Ibanez has been hit or miss in terms of quality lately, so if you can find one with a good set-up and all that stuff in store, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

10. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    the lawsuit is a carbon copy of a jazz master/ jaguar type thing it weighs a good 15 pounds the pick ups barely work its in all honestly better for decoration. Again my issue with strats is the neck feels really big for me now my girl friend who has tiny hands would prolly appriciate something a bit thinner. i will probebly get her to play my ibanez and see what she thinks of the neck (too thick / thin) in order for me to find something that she finds comfy

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Ibanez Ibanez.

For girls, i think it's a great guitar. For small guys too, i suppose.

12. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

are you sure you want to go with the Floyd Rose? i wont recommend that bridge to a begginer, very sensitive and hard to setup if you dont know how

13. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I'd say to go for a Jackson (Rhoads V would prolly tickle her fancy) or maybe a Schecter - in my experience, just about all their guitars are built well, sound good, and play nice.

That and I am partial to EMGs and the fancy translucent colored finished over a quilted maple veneer.

You could try a C-1, Sunset, 006, or Omen model if you're going for the cheaper range, or just about anything they call 'Hellraiser'.

Sunset:
    [​IMG]

006:
    [​IMG]

Omen:
    [​IMG]

14. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    I would really prefer to get her started on a Floyd Rose. I had my cousin live with me for a while, when he first came he just used my ibanes GIO and it went out of tune every 5 minutes, the strat he brought here from home a few months later wasn't much better, right before he moved out he bought an ibanez s prestige with a Floyd Rose he tuned it once and it hasnt dropped out of tune since. I would much rather have her playing then tuning it.

15. Get one of the Agile's over on Rondo Music. They're the best bang for the buck going today. I had one of the AL-3000 Les Paul copies with a spalted maple top a while back and it was awesome.

These are really nice.

http://www.rondomusic.com/ps970bk.html

16. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Editted my post above to show some Schecters.^^

17. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    those schecters look pretty good but were can i get one for under $500 in calgary alberta canada?

18. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Fraid I dunno. I'm in Hawaii.

Try checking out the Schecter website and looking for a dealer list.

And all three of those models are below $500USD. More like $250-350.

If you can't find a local dealer, try online: musiciansfriend.com ships them free, think Sam Ash might, other online dealers etc.