Sigh, my 1972 SVT cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groove*Rocket, Sep 17, 2003.

1. I've been cleaning my garage and ran smack into my beloved SVT cab. It's been about 8 years now since I gigged with it, but nostalgia drove me to haul out my head and plug in my axe. I still sounds great - pure, clear and deep without a hint of buzz or rattle. All 8 original speakers were working perfectly.

My wife took one look at it and said, "that has to go." After a lot of soul searching I have to agree that this cab should be out gigging rather than collecting dust. My car and back demand a smaller cab these days.

I pulled the top two drivers out to check out the numbers.

The right upper:
    137 7209

The left upper:
    137 7136

My interpretation of the third number is that they are CTS speakers manufactured in the ninth week of 1972 and the 36th week of 1971, respectively. I didn't have the patience to pull out all of the drivers to check dates, but based upon these dates, I have to assume that this is an early 1972 cab.

Although the Tolex is ripped up and the grill cloth looking its age, this cab is built like a brick sh*t house. I have to think that it is worth something to someone. For the life of me, I can't get a handle on what its value is.

Any opinions on the low down on this cab?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What year did you buy the cab? If it was before the marriage, I would tell your wife that she agreed to a "package deal"! ;)

3. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I'd say its worth $500- $800 bucks
  4. Going rate on an old 8x10 is $500 MAX, simply because of the age. The people on eBay wanting $800 for one are dreaming. I've got three: paid $80 plus a $300 trade for one near mint except for a a new grillecloth, $200 for the other with one replaced speaker, and got the last one for free if I paid to have it shipped, which cost $100.
  5. So what I'm hearing from Psycho is that the fact that it is all original is really irrelevant. They must have cranked a lot of these out in those days if the "vintage" aspect carries no cache.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Sounds like Psycho just wants another cabinet cheap ;)

You need to find the right that always wanted an SVT since '72 or one that had one, sold it and now longs for another.
  7. Nah, I'm working on my 8x12 thing and saving up for an upright right now.

I just think that prices on the cabs are unrealistic. Most old cabs, even when lightly or not used at all, will have rot/mold issues with the spiders and cones plus the four pin connector usually requires replacement with a 1/4" or speakon. If they have been stored for just about ANY length of time it's worse than if they were gigged constantly. I got great deals on my cabs, but I've passed on just as many. 8x10's are a PAIN to ship or even haul and a seller needs to take that into consideration as well.
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    whenever i sell something, i look into what i can get for it and WHERE. you might do better at a local dealer than over the internet where YOU have to ship the dern thing. you may look for something you like and see if a trade is possible or possibly stick it in the classifieds locally. whenever i have seen svt 810's go shipped on ebay, it is always for much less as psycho said. i see them go for $350-$450 generally, a little more if it is a local buy "only" in a better market for them (southern california seems to have an overabundance of them as "pick-up only" on ebay... not so in norhteastern pennsylvania)
  9. Thanks for the suggestion. Shipping is definately not an option. I'm in Northern California. I call some local stores and see what I might get. I could also set a reserve at ebay and insist on local pick-up, but I'm not sure that I'll get anywhere that way.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Ampeg 8x10s are not that hard to ship...

All you have to do is build a crate around it, throw it in the back of the car (I have a hatchback) and haul it down to (assuming that you and the buyer has a ForwardAir office near them) I know that you do because my 8x10 headed to SF from Chicago.

Cost about $45 IIRC... ForwardAir does not deliver though so the buyer needs to be able to pick it up. ForwardAir terminals are located near major US and Canadian airports.

It's a bare-bones business, but I've had great service.

Actually, you might not have to crate it, a cardboard box might be sufficient (which is easy to make from a discarded fridge box). You'd have to ask though...
  11. The 8x10 cab I had shipped came via Forward Air and the cost to have it and the SVT head shipped on a cargo pallet from Chicago to Knoxville, TN was $100. I had to sign the invoice, so I know it was the actual charge.
  12. Spooky! :eek: My ex-wife told me the same thang!
  13. It must be a wife of bass player thing. At least there is no doubt which of the two (cabinet and wife) I want to keep!!! :D
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So, how did your wife take it, you kicking her out, that is?:D :D

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Searched through my eBay paperwork and found that in early '02 it cost $66 to send a 243 lb. crated Ampeg 8x10 from Chicago to San Francisco. IIRC, ForwardAir quotes prices in $ per 100 lbs but charge you in 1 lb increments with a minimum charge of $45.

At the time, ForwardAir did not accept credit cards, so I had to fill out the paperwork, have the crate weighed and then go buy a money order.
  16. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    My deepest regrets selling musical equipment were a very short German bow and the SVT/V9-10".
    Since your wife has so much decision power (not ment as a dig) I would suggest loaning the gear to someone. It may get a little more used but It's still in your invintory.
  17. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    If I were you I'd crate it up and send it to me here in Houston and I'll put it to good use giging in a church where it will be much appreciated and doing the Lord's work............ Just messin' with you. :D
  18. Thanks to all for the suggestons and words of condolence. Billy B is right on with the costs of using Forward Air. They do insist on crating it with 1/4 inch plywood, but all in all it doesn't seem too daunting. I'm going to call a local shop (Starving Musicians) and see if they can make a reasonable offer. If not then I will brave the ebay waters, perhaps megiddo might keep an eye out.

Vic's suggestion was a good one (although I can't make heads or tails out of the first sentence in your post), but I don't have any buddies who could do this cab justice and treat her right.
  19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Good luck...if Starving Musician is like most shops, they'll offer you about half of what they could sell it for.

I can offer up some pictures of how I built my crates. All you need to do is ask.

Again, good luck!
  20. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Groove*Rocket, I was in the Houston GC today and they had a 1970 SVT 8x10 that looked pretty tattered. It was missing chunks of tolex and the grill was pretty shot and it had a price tag of $650 on it. :eek: It may be worth more than you think. Maybe this one toured with ZZ Top!!! :D