1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sigh... oh, Reddit...

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by BillMason, Aug 30, 2019.

1. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    A guy on r/Bass is actually arguing with me that slap bass is not an upright technique, that it refers only to slapping the body of the instrument not the strings.

2. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    Denver, CO
    give them a break r/Bass is >90% bass guitarists, im sure they think the conversation is about electric style slap not dixieland/rockabiliy slap.

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    That said, I play DB-style slap on my fretless uBass (when I can't bring my DB), so it can be done on BG with a little practice if the setup is right. In my experience, aside from the obvious posture differences, the touch needs to be much much lighter.

4. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Bill, it’s the internet... ;) Don’t expend too much energy on ignorance safely couched in ones and zero bits.
    You’re right...

Winoman and BillMason like this.
  5. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I know, you’re right, it’s just so amazing some times how entrenched people can get when they’re 100% wrong.

DrayMiles likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021