Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sigh...Rig Idea Retooling...Again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Angus, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, so now im FINALLY going to be getting my new rig (For those of you that remember, i posted like 80 threads on what to get!). We are going to be the "house band" for the school, which, is pretty lame, but the prinicipal dude wants us to or something. So, there. And ill be using it when we start doing shows again, around next summer, if not sooner.

Ok, so, I no longer have ANY idea what to get. I still want to try the Mo' Bass, but it isnt out yet, so its still "on the list", but less likely, being that i cant try it. For heads, here are the possibilities (so far):

Eden WT-1000 (with Eden WP-100 preamp), which is $2188, retail, total.

SWR SM-900, $2199.99, retail.

SWR MO' Bass, $1799.99, retail.

Ampeg SVT-4 PRO (top of the list as it is), which i dont THINK would require a preamp (correct me if im wrong). But i dont know its price. (Anybody know the retail/store price?)

And then, MAYBE (just for something different), the Stewart World 2.1 (with Eden WP-100), which would be $1997.99, retail, total.

And then beyond that, im not sure. But you can see im going for more power, as i dont want to have to upgrade this often.

As for cabinets:

SWR Megoliath (Unlikely, due to weight) 8x10- $1699, retail

Two SWR Goliath III 4x10's- $2198, retail, for both.

SWR Big Bertha 2x15 and SWR Goliath Jr 2x10 (Which i dont know about, because the Bertha is a 4ohm cab)- $2048

Two Eden D410XLT- $2460, retail, for both

Two EBS 410s, but i dont know the price of those. Ive never tried them either. But i HEAR theyre good!

As for the sound i want, definitely LOTS of bass to it. Feeling the bass is the idea!
    Anyone got any suggestions? Price doesnt really matter. But im very indecisive, and any help as to what i should get (in your opinion! dont talk about the "its all subjective" stuff! :) ), because ive got no clue. And if there are any other things i should try, mention them, by all means! Thanks for any help!

Thats all i can remember to say...so...thanks!
    :D :D :D :D :D

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you have the cash, I'd go with an Eden WT-800 and a D410XLT with a 115XLT under it. The Navigator and WT-1000 would be nice, but it's too much size and weight. Of course, you're going to get some divergent opinions on this, but they'll be wrong. ;)

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm happy for you that you have 4000$ to spend (I have it too, so this is not ironic) and maybe you have a long career before you and will really need this gear - but don't you think that it is a bit, well, overrated for a school band?
    What kind of equipment will your band mates use? Can they keep up with you? (I personally would not like it when evryone says ah and oh but behind my back calls me a swank)

I guess you might be playing in many different bands and projects soon - so portability would be an issue. I personally would not have just one very large cab (8x10). Actually I do have a 2x15 (wich is comparably compact though), but I also have a small 1x12 combo. And instead of the 2x15 I will get either a 2x12 cab or a 1x15 and 2x10 rig soon.

Just some thoughts.

And concerning sound: it has to be YOUR decision - like it or not.

Matthias

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Mo'Bass would be nice to have.
    But every store has it on Pre-order (Marsmusic)

I can suggest this for a pre/power combination.
    Preamp : Ampeg SVP-PRO
    Power AMP: Hafler or QSC (800 Watts Please)

You can also try the SWR Interstellar Overdrive, the aural Enhancer Rocks!

For Cabinets, you wanted BIG LOWS, but you will also need clarity.
    I would recommend 2 SWR combinations:
    1)SWR Goliath III (4x10) + SWR Big Ben (1x18)
    This one will fit Small/Medium Gigs
    2)SWR Goliath SR. (6x10) [Instead of the MegaGoliath]
    Too Bulky but Loud.

And for EDEN, I would go with the 2 4x10's.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks guys!

Actually Matthias, its not "too much for a school band", being that if you read my whole thing, you would have noticed that well be doing some gigging AGAIN soon. Mind you, our school is BIG, and its impossible to even hear my Fender BXR right now when its at full volume when played with drums in an area that big.

Band mates keeping up? Im not keeping up with them. If you really care as to what they use, they use Godin, G&L, and Gibson guitars, and they both have Marshall 6x12s. So no, its not "too big." Not to mention with loud drums.

And concerning "my sound", i know it has to be my own choice. Again, if you had read the thing, i said just to say what you would get, and not just to say "its a preference thing!" because that doesnt really help anything.

[Edited by MegaAngus on 09-24-2000 at 11:40 AM]

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I did not mean to provoke you and I DID read many of your postings (but I guess this was in June and I can't remember too well)
    So to be constructive:
    I'm with Munjibunga, I would get the WT-800 with Eden 115 and 410 cabs if I were you. If I were me I would get the WT 400 and Eden 115 and 210 cabs.
    What I can strongly recommend (if you should see one in the states) is the Hughes&Kettner BassBase600 - I have the the 'little' BassBase400.
    For info see:
    http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/bassamps/BassBase/default.htm
    It has a tube preamp and is rated 410W@8ohms/650W@4ohms/840W@2ohms
    (They seem to have a server problem, the site is sometimes down, you might have to try it a few times)

Have fun!
    Matthias

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey angus

one thing to consider, if you want to go low F#, none of those speaker cab setups will cut it. i've tried everything that you have mentioned, and none of them will do the low F# justice. if you are still interested in doing the low F#, you might want to consider getting a relatively small pa sub, or else the bag end D18 + elf m1 - the best for the low notes that i've heard.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So then maybe a Goliath 4x10 and a Bag End 1x18 with the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro? Thats 1200 watts mono at 4 ohm, 1600 when bi-amped. How would that be?

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hey MegaAngus,

Since moneywise the rigs are about the same, which one do prefer tonally? Ampeg vs.Eden vs, SWR.... all very nice heads and are definitely capable of letting you feel the bass. It comes down to a question of which sound you like better. Yeah, you're gonna rant now and tell me that you don't want the subjective crap but that's what it all comes down to at that level. Just about every thread here is about that subject.....sheesh.

Anyway my opinion, AIIM, a toss up between the SM-900 or the Ampeg Pro4 for the head. Eden's are nice, I just don't like them as much.

For cabs I would go for flexibility. 810's and 215's are awesome but you can't use them them for every gig. a 410, a 210 and a 15 would let you go from small coffee house situations (just the 210), weddings (210 + 15 or just the 410) small to medium clubs (210 + 410 or 410 + 15) or use them all for maximum volume.

BTW, have you considered buying used? You'd be able to get the head plus all those cabs and have money left for a true sub like John Turner suggested.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, i found an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro online for $500. I think ill get it.

As for used, i can get it through a store called Kennelly Keys for dealer cost (its a huge local chain), due to it being owned by the guitarists grandma. So that would probably be the same cost there.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey angus, i think that biamp rig is a good idea, although i would do the eden xlt instead of the golliath, but that's just my personal pref.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cool...i shall check into it! Cool thing is that the Bag End 1x18 at BassNW is only $575! But, then again, the Eden will be like $1000.

13. good god i wish i had that much money to toss in for a bass rig, my parents believe in me paying for all my crap and me being a poor little 15 yr old, i only got about a grand to spend on my rig...
    anyways...
    i'm with the idea that many of the guys have said about getting multiable cab's so that you can mix and match them for different gig's. Cause somthing that will never happen is you always needing the same about of noise. Hell if you showed up to a jazz gig with a 8x10 or a 2x15 they'd probly think you were crazy. So i really think its a good idea for you to go with mulitable cabs so if you only need a 2x10 you only have to carry a 2x10. cause i'm pretty sure you dont have roadies (and if you did, i'd evny you even more!) so your the one (plus the kind hearted souls that help you) carry your cab's up stairs, to the car, on the stage.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    remember too that you need to get the elf m1 or m2 unit too. otherwise, the cab alone is a closed box and as such it's low end response will be severely limited.

the way the speaker + elf system works is that a closed box speaker responds in a very predictable way. the elf unit compensates for this response by boosting the frequencies that are diminished due to the box architecture. thus, the response can be made flat to very low frequencies (8 Hz with the more expensive unit.)

another thing to consider is that the elf unit is a power HOG. big time. cost effectiveness-wise, the sub is the best bet, but the bagend + elf is by far the best bet, bar none, for the low F#.

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, you asked for suggestions (especially ones that don't have to do wth subjectivness), so here's mine:

If I was in your situation, I'd go for the Ampeg SVT4-PRO with a Eden 18" cab and a SWR 2x10" cab on top of it

OR

Two SWR or Eden 15's with a SWR or GK 2x10 on top of that. While I really do like SWR amps, I like graphic EQs a lot, and the Ampeg 4PRO has the power and the EQ, so that's where I'd go. Otherwise I'd go for a SWR or Eden amplifier.

Though that's all subjective, of course...:)

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoawhoawhoawhoa....okokok, how much is this going to cost? What exactly is this "elf"? Small people in an amp scare me! :D Ok, explain a little slower...i just got back from some rough soccer. :D

Hhhmmm...im not even sure about the F#...i think ill do it, but itd have to be with my Modulus, giving me a ContraQuantum!

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Angus i'm envious of the amount of money you can spend on a rig. I beleive i'm getting a Dean 6 & a TubeWorks 1X5 combo but @ least one of those will be in a year or so & the other in about 2-3months. Like the rest of the people have said the Megalioth would be nice but unless your a body builder & can carry it opt for the multiple cabs like a 4X10,2X10,& 1X15. The GK stuff it supposidly good along with SWR Golitath Seris. Sorry i can't be much help.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey angus

the elf is basically (ha ha) a x-over/low frequency booster that will increase the lowest frequencies the same amount that they are cut by the constraints of the closed box 18. in so doing, everything evens out, and the closed box unit has flat response down to either 18 Hz or 8 Hz, depending on the elf unit you get. as you can imagine, you need to a good deal of power to boost the freqs sufficiently, but hey, the low F# out of an elf/d18 is like no other.

i'd probably have one by know, but i keep buying basses :D.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks John! :D How much do you think it would be for the most expensive/least expensive model? Remember, i gotta add a 4x10 to this. And do you think the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro is enough power for them?

20. Zoinks...you are 14 and you have a Modulus? :(