Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sigh. To P or not to P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fong249, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Well, as you can tell by my thread title, im curious about the P bass. I want a bass that can grind and get a real crunch, and im really curious about a couple guitars.

1. Fender P Bass MiM and MiA. Which has more grind for the hardcore/punk/pop sound?

2. How does a SX bass sound, whats the tonal qualities of an SX P bass

2a. Will adding a outboard preamp / 7 band outboard equalizer affect the crunch of the bass?

2b. If i get the SX bass with the P/J option, im guessin gim gonna get a bit of the dumbed down J sound and a dumbed down P sound. I intend on flipping out the pickups to whatever will give me a better crunch

3. are there any other basses im overlooking for a crunchy, playable bass?

Thanks

2. 2b. You'd be getting a full P, but 1/2 a jazz too. Some people loves these setups.

With some of the bridge J, you'd get some growl. IMO...

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I second that. I love my P/J bass.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's been a week since I traded away my P. Miss it dearly already.

5. 1.MIA is pretty much better in every way generally. Price is all I can think of as far as MIM goes... but some people say there are gems.

2. You cant really compare MI chian to america.... I think squire is made in china.... ummm never played one though

2a. Try an EQ pedal.... just go to GC play a P and mess around on the EQ a little, see how you like alittle versatility

2b. I guess PJ would always be better than normal P.... if you can handlea possible hum. Personally I like dead quiet.

3. "Crunch" in my oppinion can have just as much to do with the amplification right? A lot of the punk guys play stingrays.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I always recommend the P-Bass. No matter what brand of bass I may be playing at the time, I always have a P-Bass close by.

The MIA Standard Series are pretty good from what I've seen. My advice is that you try a bonch of MIA's head-to-head; their quality control leaves a bit to be desired.

I have a MIJ P-Bass that is awesome. I had it converted to a fretless about 15 years ago. And from what I've read here, the present day Japanese-made Fenders are fantastic.

I've also played a few MIM P-Basses (and J-Basses for that matter) that were really good, but I'd also recommend that you try a bunch of them out to find a gem.

Best of luck.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I love p-basses, and MIA is a good bet. They're great instruments. I have a 2004 with Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass, and it's a total rock and roll machine.

The new prices have gotten a little out of hand, but used ones are plentiful. I think the quality control is pretty good, but you could easily believe otherwise by the awful setups and shop wear encountered in major chain stores. Some MIA Fenders are certainly better than others -- my 2003 MIA J is more resonant than my 2004 MIA P -- but I don't think you'll find many dogs. The Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline is similarly priced (maybe less), and IMO has better tone with its Lindy Fralin pickup, so that's a good option too.

I also love P/J basses, but recommend that you get a humbucking J pickup if you take that route. Lindy Fralin's Split Jazz is excellent, but other less expensive options exist. This prevents the odd volume fluctuations when you blend the two pickups on a traditional P/J with conventional single coil J pickup. And of course it eliminates the hum.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've tried this but I always end up selling them. I've tried to love the P bass. I've had about 3 of them. For me, I just find that the music I play doesn't really work with a P. There are occasions that it would be nice to have one, but I just roll to my front pickup and roll a little treble off and it works alright for limited use.

My favorite P was one that had a Jazz neck. P thump with the better feeling (to me) jazz neck.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The SX P copies sound about like a P bass. They are cheap instruments though, up close they look and feel cheap. They get a lot of support & hype on this site - and fair enough, people love having a variety of basses available at a very cheap price point - but they are cheap basses. They are on par with a Squire (they are not as nice as a MIM Fender, even though some will claim they are - they're not) I've bought two SX basses - one was pretty nice out of the box (still a nice player) and the other was a dog. The weak points on the SX basses are: Very hit and miss QC, cheap materials & electronics, knobs that fall off and wont stay on (the tension screw does nothing to help - they need replaced) very cheap nuts (although, while it does look like crap - it has yet to fail, even though it is showing a lot of wear for it's age) no shielding at all, careless assembly -the screws are all at funky, random angles and the heads on the screws starting to slightly strip from assembly, oh - and ugly ugly pick up routing (but who would ever see it), I got one screwed up dot inlay on a maple board that should be black but it's more clear than black - I "fixed" it with a black sharpie. My SX made a lot of noise from day 1 - When I took it apart I found that the ground wire was not attached and I could see no sign that it ever was.

My advise - Look for a MIM Fender and play as many as you can and choose the one you like best. If you can afford it and you want a step up in quality, check out the CIJ Fenders - they're great. You will see, feel, and hear the difference. If you can afford to spend even a bit more, and you want a pro level instrument - go for a MIA Fender. The "try it before you buy it" rule always applies, at every price point.

That's just my opinions - maybe a bit biased, I think I've really become a "Fender guy". YMMV

10. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Wow! My thoughts exactly. You have to "go over" any bass at any price point before buying. Some just alittle more than others.

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ... Yes!!! You need to P!!!

:bag:

12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    MIA P-bass is pretty much THE standard bass, and, yeah, there's a reason. Granted, everybody else is gonna have one (which is why I shy away from Fender in general) but if that's not an issue, it's a safe bet.

My experience, though, has been that some MIMs are just as good as the Americans....

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Doesn't everyone sooner or later?

14. Wow, interesting answer to the question "how do they sound?" Fortunately the pertinent info came in the first sentence before the diatribe.

I always wonder how one piece maple or alder can be described as higher quality than another piece of maple or alder with such certainty?

15. mcgraham

mcgraham

Feb 21, 2004
    Coventry, UK
    I recently rediscovered the simple pleasure of a good P-bass. Well, strictly speaking it's got a single P pickup. Yamaha RBX 260F strung with 95-40 D'addario Chromes. As many have stated over and over, it's been recorded a lot over the last 50 something years (bit of an understatement there!) and for good reason, it sounds good!