1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sigh WHY did I try that Mesa M3 in the middle of auditioning smallish, budget heads!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pudgychef, May 21, 2011.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Was continuing checking out potential heads for this Bag End 15 cab that needs a friend. Tried:

Traynor DB300
    GK MB500/200
    Rumble 350

and a couple used 'standard' size heads:
    Peavey Tour 450
    Fender Bassman 250HD

they were all fine in their own way....saw a Mesa M3 and figured

1) I have wanted to try one of those M3s after liking an M6 and digging Scouts..
    2) Wonder if Mesa and Bag End play well together?

Dumb - it sounded great - noticeably thicker and fatter (to my ears) and the cab and head got along so well I was afraid to leave them alone unsupervised.... I think the Mesa liked the Bag End more than the Epifani PS115 it was sitting on.....which surprised me for no explicable reason....

off to look for used Scout heads.......:ninja:

the idea was to make this a super budget rig as I nabbed the cab for $100 and will be parting with whatever this set up is in just under a year (moving back to Korea and this rig will be used for playing bar/small club - cover band type gigs $100/ea 2/3 sets - no corporates, large clubs or anything 'serious' from an earning p.o.v.) ....seems silly to pair it with a 1k head

phew.....had to share the sudden onset Mesa GAS - thanks :) :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you had a certain goal, focus on it. it may sound good, but it won't serve your needs at the present time, so out it goes!

3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    wise words Jimmy...thanks :) - got to try the PF 350 and 500 last week, but just for a sec - sound pretty nice to my ears....need to go back on a mid-week afternoon (or better yet one of my local shops needs to get one in I can try at rehearsal....)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    they are very nice heads imho. lot of good micros these days, but those stand out for ampeg-ness + price.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I love the Mesa M line of heads. Whenever I sell off my SVT-CL I'll probably end up getting an M6... or an Aguilar DB750 :p

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    It's a slippery slope.....before you know it you'll have an M9 sitting atop 4 of those Bag Ends and you'll be afraid to open your credit card statement :)))))))

7. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    no doubt! :)

may have just found a $250 used Walkabout.....that would work :)

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    nope.....a guy was there checking out a different head, saw the Mesa, asked about it and snagged it while I was driving to Toronto to buy it..........booo!