Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sighhhhhh another band name thread

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderx55, Feb 26, 2006.

1. CharlieDontSurf

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. One Night Stand

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. ditch 'em both.

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    My band has been through many incarnations. We started as an 80s metal cover band (don't ask), then as we grew we started covering other stuff and doing some rudimentary writing. Now, 4 years later, we're writing music that's pretty different than anything in our area, we have a new singer, and we changed our name for the 5th time at some point last year.

Right now we're called CharlieDontSurf. Not from the clash song, but from apacolypse now. It isn't racist, I just really liked that line (and hey, our guitarist's gf is chinese). But now we're thinking of going back to One Night Stand. We're kind of afraid of being too serious and being one of those douchebaggy bands that I make fun of, but want our name to reflect our music but at the same time capture our weird personalities. I like both names equally so it isn't that, and we don't really have a fan base yet becaues we're only just starting self-promotion now (getting out of the garage so to speak). We played a few well-recieved shows last summer and we're starting to really push ourselves. So because we don't have "fans' that aren't acquaintances of ours, are we risking anything by switching again (besides having to redesign our website)? And what do you think about the names? check out our website in my sig.

thanks,
    Chris

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I give Charlie Don't Surf a 'C'. It's okay. It's not amazing. I don't like the other at all.

So I would post a negative vote for One Night Stand. Take away the first vote somebody gives to that one. But leave Charlie Don't Surf as-is. I don't like it so much that I want to give it a vote. But I don't DISlike it enough to take one away either.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    thank you for the incredibly moderate post.

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Call yourself "Chef Saladiers" and be done with it... lol...

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I like charliedontsurf, but like the bard above, i dont LOVE it. I did like it enough to hit it with a vote, though.

thing about "charlie don't surf" is that it's ancient history in lingo terms... I think it's cool because it still sounds interesting, but on the other hand it'd almost be like naming a band "got milk?" 20-30 years from now =0)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One night stand is awful, it screams generic. I'm sure there have been 300 cover bands named "One night stand"

I'm with everyone, except charliedontsurf gets a D+

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Thank you Google!

1 Night Stand - UK

One Night Stand - a chick band featured in CosmoGIRL!

There's a Charlie Don't SHAKE in Chicago...

Another British band - Charlie Don't Surf

How about Charlie Don't Surf in Indiana? Or their myspace...

Maybe a Charlie Don't Surf in Utah will be more the ticket!

Anyway, these are both fairly common names. I might keep looking if I were you. Perhaps "Chunky Toasterbean and the Knick-Knacks"? :D

8. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    There is a ska band I was once with One Night Stand, there from canada.

9. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    How about "Mama HooHoo and the Syncophants"?

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I guess since this IS a band name thread I should make my traditional post.:

Band names are easy to come up with. Good band names are less easy.

11. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Weird and artistic? Name yourselves after a Fu****susha songtitle (Keiji Haino's band which apparently trips the obscenity filter here, hehehe). That would be too pretentious and serious, though, so add "in my pants" afterwards. Here are a couple of good'uns: I Saw It! That Which Before I Could Only Sense In My Pants or perhaps Hasn't Something Like This Happened Before In My Pants? Or, my traditional suggestion: Steamgoat.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stank Stankington and the Stankaliers. Man, that just screams "Class!". You'll thank me later. Now, get out there and conquer the world, you nutty bassist you!

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Well, we've basically all decided that we need a change, and everyone's enumerated all the bad name. What makes a good name?

14. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    A good name is good for marketing - memorable and attracts the kind of people you'd want to listen to you.

I'd start by writing down some existing band names that made you go "I wish I thought of that one first". See if there are any common threads. Try to come up with something inspired by those.

15. Chazzz

Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    Geesh, goood names are hard to come up with... what a fun challenge:
    (1) Clandestine Funk Society, (2) What Yo Momma Said, (3) Bela Fleck and the Flecktones... (oh wait, I think that one's taken), (4) Deaf Mutes, (5) Flack and Jasper, (6) Billy Bodine and the Flapjacks, (7) Shark Attack, (8) The Fuzzy Naval Officers, (9) Wish We Were You, (10) Three Musicians and a Drummer (or just TMD), (11) Twin Prime Conjecture (or just TPC), (12) Phase Transition Anomaly (or just PTA :confused:), (13) Skip Chute and the Acrophobic Skydivers, (14) Chilled Fruit Cup, (15) Shaul Paefer and the SBC Orchestra, (16) The Stay-Puft Marshmellow Band

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hot Buttered Elves.
    The Fairy Wore Boots! It's a song title, but it still tickles me!

17. I dig CDS more than the rest, but if you dig the apocalypse now thing, have a few beers with the band and watch the flick again with a notepad - plenty 'o great lines, or, skim through the transcript and see which line jump out. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    That sir, is a great idea. I think i Know what i'm doing tonight.

19. Pink Unicorn Horsey.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Took you long enough.:smug: