Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sight Reading(help)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cliff_em_all, May 16, 2001.

1. cliff_em_all

cliff_em_all

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm not even sure if they exist. I haven't found any. I'm looking for sites on the net that (attempt) to give lessons on reading music(bass) for free. I am half way there, I know the fretboard very well(the notes). Now, I need to learn everything else!!! Can Anyone Help???? I will buy a book on it someday, but I like to know if there is a website on it.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. cliff_em_all

cliff_em_all

Jan 22, 2001
    Thank you very much PACMAN!
    I scimmed the site a bit and it looks like it will play a big role in my learning to read music!
    I can't go in depth with it right now BECAUSE I'M AT SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Cliff Burton Em All, if you decide to buy a book to help your sight reading, may I suggest "Note Reading Studies for Bass Guitar" by Arnold Evans; Mel Bay Publishing, $9.95.

That is not a major investment, but the book is chock full of excellent reding drills from very simple to drills with highly complex rhythmic challenges and demanding chord progressions, of course, in every key.

Computer web sites are cool because they are free, but having a book is often more convenient because you can carry it with you anywhere. And you can practice your reading even without a bass in your hands.

5. cliff_em_all

cliff_em_all

Jan 22, 2001
    I've heard that book was a good one and the one I plan on buying. Thanks for your support in my journey to sight-reading!!

6. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001