Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sight reading music (notation)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassandlax, Feb 8, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,
    i am currently working on learning bass clef. I know treble from 8 years of classically trained violin. Reading it is frustrating to learn because all my years of violin i always related the clef to the positions on the fingerboard, not notes. So i am having trouble with higher positions and playing in keys other than c :(
    can any of you give me any tips or exercises I can use to better and more efficiently read music in all positions and keys. I know many of you read music very proficently and i would love it of you could even give me the most minute of tips.
    the tips/comments/ideas/suggestions are much apprecieted.

thank you in advance

joe

2. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    I use trombone music to practice my reading. Its good because it uses the whole range of a 4 string bass. It also helps with fingerings because of all the movements (low e to e on the g string for example) you have to learn how to economize movement. I also like mel bay note reading studies for bass.

S

3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Doing extremely anal single string studies can help.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Learn to recognize the difference between the difficulty your head is having understanding bass cleff, and the trouble your hands are having making the technical execution happen. In my experience as a teacher, the majority of problems most people have with reading is between their ears. If this is the case with you as well, spend your time in the beginning addressing your deficiencies in the areas of note recognition and rhythmic flow.

The best exercise of all is never to pick up your instrument until you can sing what's on the page, but that's a difficult to reach ideal for most beginners...try reading the note names out loud from the music you're trying to play, and then try tapping the rhythms on a table with a metronome going (use whatever tempo you are comfortable with). Then try doing both at once.

Good luck

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The best exercise of all is never to pick up your instrument until you can sing what's on the page, but that's a difficult to reach ideal for most beginners...try reading the note names out loud from the music you're trying to play, and then try tapping the rhythms on a table with a metronome going (use whatever tempo you are comfortable with). Then try doing both at once.

i totally agree with this. I actually took this approach in learning to site read Bachs Cello Suites.

It makes sense to me, because it gives the reading aspect of it time to sink in and really learn it before applying it.

6. Chris -

Some of the best advice! It is exactly what I am doing right now! I have been starting out my practice everyday by reading out loud, in time, a couple sheets of music. It literally blows my mind at the difference it has made!!

K.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Keep that up, and soon you'll be reading $#!+ down cold like ZON DRUNKARD. (Pacman) :cool:

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Good one :D

and thanks:oops:

9. Its all this 'stuff' like reading out loud, playing with metronomes, etc ... that we know we should be doing that makes the biggest difference when we actually DO IT!

Thanks -

10. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    By singing the notes you mean the doe,ray,me,fa,so,la,dee,da. I think thats the order.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's all so "la dee da" ! That's it! ;)

For middle-aged Brits - remember the musician was called "la-dee-dah gunner graham" ! :D

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually, it's "La Ti Do"