Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sight reading resources?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Hello all

I am sorry if this has been done, I checked the sticky and couldn't find any info.

I am looking for an online (preferably) resource to study sight reading. I am very well versed in theory, and can sight charts easily. I would love to be able to sight notation, which I can read, but not sight. Many years ago, I learned music on a guitar, so I was brought up with treble clef and I still tend to read that way.

Any hints/ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. The best way to learn to sight-read is to…

…sight-read lots of music.

Seriously, I'm not joking! The only way is to do it - the more you read, the better you become at reading - it's obvious really! There are no shortcuts… There's so much music out there - start with the simple tunes. Try and play things you're unfamiliar with. Any music will do - it doesn't have to be written for your instrument.

Hey, we've all been there - I hope this helps!

- Wil

PS - I've just re-read your post again, and I'm not sure I understand "…which I can read, but not sight…" - now I'm confused…

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think he means to say that he can play through charts on the first go, but has more trouble with actual notation. eg, in a jam situation with leadsheets, he could play a bassline, but might have difficulty playing the head.

Read in both clefs, as much as possible. Learn new heads all the time. Grab yourself a Real Book, and read melodies every day.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, there's no book or online site that can tell you how to read music faster. Just read lots of music. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

5. There is a pretty good book "Simplified Sight Reading for Bass" that I've tried to work through. Lots of exercises and an accompanying CD.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I stand corrected then ;)

7. You stand corrected twice. Check this out:

Note Trainer

I spend about 10 mins a day doing this. I've found it really helpful.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, I only stand corrected once. That will help you recognize what note is on the staff, but it won't help you at all with sight reading. It's one thing to instantaneously tell what one note is. It's a whole different thing to tell what several different notes are with different durations while you're trying to play them.

9. Ok, you win. I'm a loser. I was just trying to impress you Jimmy. But don't get too angry at me, us registered users have to stick together.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hey, how can he be a loser? He plays bass!

Oh...guess I just answered my own question ;)

Seriously Jack, don't worry about it. That IS a good exercise for note recognition, so there's nothing at all wrong with it. Doesn't make you a loser.

11. What does make me a loser is that I spend all my spare time playing bass and going on talkbass and not studying for my school certificate which is in a week.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You're right! Go study, you lazy punk!

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    this thread has gone completely off the rails...

think of the children!

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

I couldn't agree more.

*a little thread cleaning*

Let's keep this thread on topic please.

15. Sorry, My fault. Here are a few more to help.

Interval Trainer

Key Trainer

Ear Trainer

16. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    im starting to play bass in my school big band, and to help my sight reading i made some flash cards with the note on the stave on one side, and then the name of the note and the note in tab format aswell. i only tabbed it from open to 4th fret though. it would have been too hard to do it all, plus i found that a lot of stuff we play just seems to revolve around those frets.