Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sight Reading

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Bijoux, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Does anybody know the name of a good book for sightreading, I have several from the last 10 uears or so, but what about something really standard used in Conservatories and/or Universities, Music Scools etc, and where could I find it?, thanks for your help.

2. Hey Bijoux hows it going, most classical guys get their sight reading experience playing in orchestra. There are plenty of etudes you could use , you could also get complete orchestra parts and read those along with a recording. Lemur music is the best source for bass music that I've found. Give some specifics on what you think you need to work on and maybe I or someone else can steer you to some books. Later Marc

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hey Thanks Marc, is good to see you on the list, and thanks for the advice, sometimes I have trouble reading jazz stuff and some more pop stuff and even latin music, these charts tend to have a lot of modulations and the subdivisions can be very tricky, I think I'll just have to do it a bunch and practice with the Omnibook, I'll try to read all those flats and sharps, well thanks again, hope you are doing well.

4. There are some good ear training computer programs that have rhythm reading exercises. I had one called earobics for a while and that helped me alot. You can find them here http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Thanks for the link, BTW I found a couple of books at the local music store, these are trombone books written by Jim Snidero, and they are put out by www.AdvancedMusic.com, very cool, they come with a CD, I am using it for sight reading, they are very easy but yet not the kind of phrasing we would use on bass, very cool trying to play it without figuring out fingering.