1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sightsinging - another tool to improve your bass playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by CaseyVancouver, Dec 14, 2017.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image. image. image.

I am impressed by people who can sightsing.

It opens up another part of your musical brain and will help with your overall musicality.
    You don't need to intend to sing in public to benefit from the ability.

Picked up this Musicians Institute book and am enjoying going through it. Starts at the very beginning with reading music and sightsinging. 159 pages. $7 used on ebay with free shipping :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Tom Lane and DaBassman like this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sight singing is the execution of what any musician hears when they see music on the page. Without this ability, reading becomes simple typing, which must then be translated back into musical form. My old teacher blew my mind some 30+ years ago when she said "sight-reading is just playing by ear through your eyes". I can do no better than to advocate what she did - sit in a chair away from your instrument and practice hearing the music you are getting ready to play before you take it to the instrument; this can be done not only with melodic stuff, but also with chord progressions.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  3. In my world, sightsinging wasn’t the goal, but it was a byproduct.

To me, sightsinging is the verifiable proof of successful thorough ear training. All musicians should aspire to thorough ear training.

Whether you want to be a singer or not, it’s the only way I know of to provide evidence that you’ve internalized all the intervals, and can duplicate them without an instrument.

CaseyVancouver likes this.