Sigma guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 22, 2004.

1. hello all!

so i've got this sigma guitar, and i have had some trouble identifying this one. I've got some pics if they help...i put a pic of the soundhole on here, because there is a serial number inside, that you can berely see, the number is 49.4.24 . so if anybody can help me out...maybe even just a model number would help...the only thing that throws me off is the headstock, which has that "M" on it...
    can anybody help me please?

2. The sideways "M" is actually the Greek character 'sigma,' which would explain its appearance on the headstock. Other than that, no clue.
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Sigma is a budget line belonging to Martin. The guitar you have there looks like it is based on a Martin OM model. go to Martin Guitars webpage and see if they can help you.

Most of the Sigmas I have seen had pretty different graphics on the headstock. Maybe yours is older,
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    That's a MIJ OM-18 copy from the 1970s. Not a good guitar, not a bad guitar. It is what it is. The early-mid 80s Sigmas had some very good guitars (DM18, DM28), but once Martin put out the Shenandoah series in the late 80s they put Sigma back down the quality scale.
    Your guitar is roughly equivalent to the Yamaha F series guitars from the 70s.
  5. thanks, lyle, i know what the company sigma is, i was just hoping someone could provide me with a model number or something like that...i've been having problems finding stuff on this one, because it doesn't seem to look like the new sigmas!