1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signal blending and OD knowledge

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Apr 29, 2010.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hey guys,

So in doing some research here on TB I came across the Xotic X-Blender. This looks like a great pedal albeit a little pricey. In the past, I was recommended to check out the Xotic Bass BB Preamp as an OD solution since I couldn't stand the amount of low end lost from the Fulltone Bass Drive I previously used. So I got to thinking...What if I eventually picked up both Xotic pedals? Signal splitting is something entirely new to me but I can really see the potential benefits. I want to retain the natural low end sound of my Mesa gear with my bass but add some grit on top ala Geddy style. Now, I 'm not saying that I'm actually trying to emulate Geddy's tone but rather something of my own with some grit on top.:bassist:

I was also originally considering picking up a BOSS GEB-7 and a BOSS ODB-3 but something tells me I'll be happier with the Xotic pedals. Also, the Xblender already has an EQ on it and I prefer true bypass whenever I can use it, which is why I haven't mentioned the BOSS LS-2.:bag:

So am I on track here in thinking that combining the two Xotic pedals will yield the sound I'm trying to describe? Is signal splitting really the way to go in terms of "best" or most "natural" OD and distortion sounds?

Thanks for reading

2. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    In my vast experience playing through a newly aquired BB for 5 minutes this afternoon, I'd say to grab the BB and start there. I think it has exactly the sound you seem to want. I played mine through my Acoustic B20 practice amp, which is a great sounding little amp by itself. I set it to basically keep my sound, but will a little more 'oumph' and a touch of bite and not-quite grit. The way I have it set it only really overdrives when I really dig in (gain at about 8 o'clock), but it can get VERY gritty when you crank it up, though it's a pretty smooth grit...

Best of all (and this was just with a little practice amp), low end was significantly boosted, which was nice if you want that (I did).

-John

3. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    I don't have any experience with the preamp, but I have the x-blender and have used it to blend my signal with a black Russian Big Muff.

My personal experience with it, is that it does the job of retaining low end very well. However, the overall effect just made the distortion sound a bit thinner and so it got lost in the mix with the two guitars in my band.

I'm more inclined to use a pedal with it's own blend knob, these days. At the moment I'm just using my Sansamp BDDI with the gain on full, and the blend at around 11 o'clock.

The ODB-3 also has it's own blend knob, but it's certainly not for everyone.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Blending works better with some effects, worse with others. I consider the X-Blender an important tool in my pedal "toolbox", but I don't use it with every dirt pedal--in fact I'd say I use it with only half of them.

Start with the BB by itself, and go from there.

5. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    +1

6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Yup. The BB is one overdrive that doesn't need a blender! Actually I've found that overdrives don't work so great blended, so bass friendly ones are special. Blending is essential for some fuzz/distortion or other pedals that aren't made for bass, don't pass enough low end or mute your attack.

7. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hey guys I really appreciate the feedback. These pedals are mucho $$$ and its good to get some ideas like this before making a decision.
    I found this video today:
    The guy is doing exactly as I was thinking...