1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signal chain advice/help...PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by qball26, Apr 28, 2010.

1. qball26

qball26

Feb 5, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know what to do anymore...I`ve searched & searched and I can`t find any answers I`m looking for. I'm about to bang my head of the wall soon! Here's my list of gear then I'll get to my problem(s)...

BASS = EBMM SR5
    PEDALS = Boss TU-2, BOSS LMB-3, MXR EVH Phase 90, VT Bass, MXR 10 band EQ, MXR Bass Driver DI, EHX Bass Big Muff, EHX Pog2, EHX Bassballs, EHX Micro Q-Tron
    OTHER = X2 XDR95 wireless, Radial JDI, SVT-3 Pro(power section only, preamp side acting up), SVT810

1) q-tron sounded good in store with a passive bass (didn`t have any active), when I got home and plugged in my SR5 it sounded like carp. Massive volume drop. Settings MODE=BP / Q=1-2 o'clock / DRIVE=1-2 o'clock. No beautiful sweep like with a passive. Tried different settings and different placement in signal chain to no avail. What to do?

2) POG2 sounds amazing alone, but when thrown in with the VT Bass it doesn't sound or react the same at all. Tried it before and after VT Bass, and the same thing happens? Seems like the Character knob sucks alot of tone out when used with the POG2. (character = 9 o'clock)

I'm at my wits end, can't seem to figure anything out that I like except SR5=> VT Bass => MXR Bass Driver DI => MXR EQ => Radial JDI => FOH... in a nut shell those 3 pedals make up my tone. I don't know in which order to put the rest of the pedals. (they each serve a purpose in different songs).

Looking through some of the pedal boards on here I've noticed that quite a few of you use close to the same pedals as I do. How do you get everything to work and sound good together???

Thanks for reading this far. I hope that this make sense...any and all help / advice would be much appreciated.

2. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Ditch the Qtron.
    Ditch the VTBass.
    Take that money and buy an SFT.
    At the very least put the eq before the MXR DI.

OR

Use your EQ's position in the chain to compensate the Qtron/POG issue.

OR

Make 2 channels with an AB switch:
    One for "clean" with the VT in that.
    One for "funkysound" with the Qtron&POG.

OR

ignore this post.

3. qball26

qball26

Feb 5, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Well it's official....I HATE MY SET UP!!!! I think it's time for a massive overhaul. The only things I might keep are my 810 cab, wireless, tuner, POG2 and phase 90. Everything else is going bye-bye.

I'm thinking of getting a Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 USA and a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0. Any recommendations on a nice overdrive pedal, nothing to harsh, more along the lines of Geddy Lee-ish. (I know he uses a Sansamp RPM).

PS...can non-supporting members post in the classifieds section?

4. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    No. You'll have to join, ooops.:ninja:

5. When I had a HOG and a SansAmp BDDI, the speaker sim on the BDDI would kill off some of the sweet octaves up from the HOG. I imagine the VT may be doing the same to your POG.

I find it strange that the Qtron is dropping in volume. You may try dropping the drive to minimum and bringing it up slowly and hopefully you'll get your funk back. You can try dropping the volume of the bass to see if that helps. It sounds counter intuitive to roll the drive back to increase volume, but I think that the filter is running too hot so it isn't responding properly, which causes it to sound thin. The other thing to try with it would be to add a blend. This would add in some dry bass signal which should help in a mix.

Dunno if that helps, hope it does.

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I own, or have owned many pedals similar to the ones that you are using, as well as the same bass.

With the VT Bass, the character knob at 9-o'clock is certainly cutting out a lot of highs and mids. I'd suggest using the VT Bass or the POG2 alone, not in conjunction with each other. The VT is designed to sound like Ampeg amps, which it does decently well. This does not, however, guarantee that you will like the sound of octaves being pushed through it, especially with the speaker simulator. I wouldn't say that you particularly need to replace it with the SFT if it's working well for your clean tone. IMHO, these two pedals are similar enough that you shouldn't need to replace one with the other.

As for the QTron, you might want to switch to lowpass (LP) mode and try it from there. The reason that it is sounding thin is because you have the mis-labeled "Drive" knob up way too high. What is happening is that you have the filter's sensitivity up so high that the filter is wide open when you start playing (due to the hotter output of your active bass). Being that you have it in bandpass mode, this is killing your lows and highs except for a thin band of mids (the width of which is controlled by the Q control) that is being passed to your amp. As previously stated, you should start with the drive just about at 7-o'clock and slowly start bringing it up until you reach the desired envelope sensitivity that you are looking for. Then you should start adjusting the Q control until you find a setting that you like. Then, you can switch between LP, BP, and HP settings to see the differences in sound (you may need to adjust the Q control again in different modes). Envelope filters are very sensitive (read: picky, finicky) to the signal being send to them (eg: active signal, passive signal, hot output passive signal, drive pedal pre-envelope filter, buffer pre-envelope filter, etc.) as well as the playing style that you employ (eg: fingerstyle, pick-style, slapping, double-thumb, old-school thumb plucking, etc.).

That being said, the way that I would order your equipment would be:

EBMM SR5 -> X2 XDR95 wireless (I'm assuming that you're using this for the bass) -> Boss TU-2 -> EHX Pog2 -> EHX Micro Q-Tron -> EHX Bassballs -> BOSS LMB-3 -> EHX Bass Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> VT Bass -> MXR 10 band EQ -> MXR Bass Driver DI -> Radial JDI (This is a bit redundant with the BDDI IMHO) -> SVT-3 Pro (you should get your amp fixed, or replace it IMHO) -> SVT810

7. I have a micro Q tron and had the same problems until I did what was suggested above, there is also a small white pot inside the pedal that can be adjusted. That being said, I do not recommend putting dirt after filters. Its al personal preference but I have dirt and fuzz right after my Tuner BDDI and compressor.
    Depending on your use for the Eq/ tone shaping pedals ( you seem to have a lot of them- VT, MXR EQ, MXR BDDI). I would go TU-2 > EQ depending on what you use it for Pog2> big muff then your filters and phasers. Its really hard to order your signal chain thoguh, not knowing exactly what your using the EQ and limiter for, is the eq meant to be used at different times?