1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signal Chain Mystery - GK 400 RB IV

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by manbass, Mar 25, 2006.

1. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Need advice....I've always used a Combo amp, maybe loop in one pedal. I have gone into the "Rack" setup territory now, and have wasted hours on the net and in the manuals trying to find the "correct" way to chain a few units together.

I have a new GK 400RB IV Head, a BBE 362 NR (Sonic Max w/ noise reduction), and an old but nice dbx 163x overeasy compressor. Whats the right signal chain?

I have some results using the effects send/return but not sure where these should sit in the chain. The BBE Rep stated the 362 can be used in the FX send/return loop, given that I dont have a separate preamp.

So now I have it...

Bass into GK---> FX send to BBE--->BBE out to dbx in---> dbx out to GK fx return--->GK out to 2 x 10 cab. Doesnt sound much different than straight thru the GK alone.

Whats your similar chain? Thanks in advance.

MB

2. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Anybody?

3. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    C'mon, nobody here has any comment? Advice? Help?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Does your fx loop have a "blend" knob, or is it just a straight shot between the preamp and the power section? If it's a series connection between pre and power, you're good to go. If there's a blend knob, just make sure it's at 100%. You're set. Those dbx 163x's are pretty cool, very under-appreciated these days.

5. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    No blend, straight shot. Still sounds like crapola.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh, I didn't realize it sounded bad to you. You say it sounds the same whether you have the fx units in or out of the setup? So it sounds "crapola" when you play your bass direct to the GK with no other processors? If that is a correct understanding, then the problem is in the bass or the GK, not the signal chain of other processors.

If it actually does sound different, but it just doesn't sound right to you, can you describe what sounds wrong?

7. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    I wasnt clear, sorry. I get a ton of hum and hiss no matter what the settings. That doent happen with the Head alone. Not the 60 hz Jazz bass hum, it happens with every bass passive or active.

The Noise Reduction on the 362 only cuts out about a third off it when switched. The compressor adds to that fizzy output. Thats why I'm thinking its the way i am running the series through the fx loop.

I understand going thru the loop separates the pre stage to power, and thats the mfg. recommended route. But the output wont get quiet at any settng.

I actually bought all this stuff to make a quiet setup....stumped me.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, so there is no noise when it's just the bass and the GK, but when you put the 362 in the fx loop you get a ton of noise?

That would make me guess there is a grounding problem with either the loop connections or the 362 unit or the power supply for the 362. Also, check and see if the 362 has a switch to select between -10dB and +4dB levels, and see if switching that helps.

Do you get the same kind of hum/etc. with just the dbx unit in the loop?

9. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    BTW, Thanks for showing up here, I will try those settings tonite and report back.