Signal chain order for compression, eq, and more

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by knight, Feb 5, 2003.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I searched but found no good answer to this:
    In a signal chain, would you want your eq (parametric in my case) before or after the compressor? Why? I'm also interested in the reasoning here.
    AND: if I were to add an Aphex aural exciter to my setup, would it go last?
    Help would be appreciated. Cheers.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would put the Aphex at the end of the chain.

Where you put the compressor depends on the rest of the signal chain and what you want from it. If you are using the compressor mostly as an effect, like to change amount of punch in the bass note, I suggest you put it before the eq. If you are mostly looking to smooth out your overall dynamics, for example hard limiting), you should put it after the eq.

I have mine before any eq.
  3. EQ > Compression > Enhancer.

EQ = dynamic range...

Compression = tames that dynamic range...

Enhancer = re-establishes dynamics the compressor typically, slightly "over tames."

I go Preamp w/EQ > compression > BBE, as recommended to me by several studio tech.'s.

Compresson should be used as an extra gain stage or two, between the preamp and the power amp. In this position, volume is increased dramatically and at the same time protecting speakers from distortion and overload. Gain staging in this way greatly increases 'punch' and sustain.
  4. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks for your help guys. I tend to agree with the first suggestion, but I'll try both combinations and see what works best for me... Cheers
  5. but the compressor sends a LINE level output (like a dbx) as opposed to an instrument level output (like a stompbox compressor) then it must go in the fx loop. otherwise you'll feeding the preamp too hot of a signal.