Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

signal chain questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Sep 2, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am once again revamping my signal chain. Image 1 is my current set-up. I want to simplify the layout but make it more versatile. Changes will be removing the chorus and phaser - I like the phaser but I don't use it much - I like the chorus but I'll get chorus from the Memory Man. I am going to swap out the Q-tron for a mini Q-tron (advise on that one) - I enjoy the q-tron but only use a few of the settings. Lastly, I have tried very hard to avoid the compressor but since I am currently only recording my "nuances" really show up, so I am adding a small compressor after the mixer but before the amp. -note I intend to modify the big muff to true bypass-
    [​IMG]

New Signal Chain. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
    [​IMG]

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I take it the mini-mixer is to blend your wet/dry signals?

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Exactly. I use it also to add bass back into the mix when using the Big Muff Pi. I like having the seperate mixer from loooper because I use the mixer when I play with a keyboard player and we both use my amp. The mixer again is nice for practicing to cd or with a drum machine.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. I've been handed my head on a platter when I tell people that my compressor is last in my signal chain. Some will tell you to put it first so it can tame your signal to your effects...while others tell you to put it last so your effects see all the nuance in your playing.

I don't really know the answer. If it sounds good to you, then there's really no wrong answer.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly. I have mine after my octaver/distortion/fuzz/env filter, but before chorus

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what kind of mixer is that, btw?

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    The mini mixer is an electro harmonix deal. Actually my signal chain will once agian change as well as my amp (the 'bay). I think the EHX mini mixer would have been really good but not exactly what I was looking for.

My new signal chain (should be finished soon and mounted on a pedaltrain that I got today) will be EHX small stone (reissue the vintage will hit the 'bay), EHX small clone, MXR bass di, mini q-tron (the regular tron will hit the 'bay), vintage hog's foot (I am going to clone it), and a PT-80 digital delay (DIY). I have decided to use a loooper (DIY) to bypass everything and use the MXR bass DI that'll remix bass into mild distortion. Finally everything will go through the MXR super comp if I can ever find a good deal on one.

Does this ever stop- pedals in pedals out- every time a package arrives in the mail my 2 yr old says "new pedal dad?".

10. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Oh yeah...

I'll keep the MXR bass ocatve. That is one of my favorites. Once I get my website up and running - I'll post some sound files.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Is it best to have the octave before the OD? I use Boss octave, OD and chorus and have them in that order, when I use the octave and OD together would it help the octave to track better if it came after the OD due to the compression, or should the octave come first no matter what?

12. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am probably not the best to answer my question as I am a little Avant-garde in the effects department and usually line up my signal chain the way it sounds the coolest to me. There are however some rules of thumb to follow for certain effects like gain and auto gain effects.

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Personally I do octave after distortion, but try it both ways and see what you like.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so...you're replacing the EHX mini mixer with an MXR di?

15. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Sort of. The MXR has a similar yet different function. Plus I need to sell my amp to fund my new project.