Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

signal chain suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by prismacolor2, Jan 25, 2004.

1. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    Some general signal chain questions.

I run two separate loops off my looper box to keep my signal as clean as possible because I use effects very sparingly and tastefully (lets just let me believe this ok?)

Here is my setup (loop chains follow)

bass=>TU2 Tuner=>loooper 2 loop box (loops below)=>MXR DI=> Clarus amp=>Berg HT112

Loop one: EBS Octabass=>AF9 filter or Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter

Loop two: Fulltone Choralflange=>Fulltone Bassdrive

I love loop one, no Q's there

Questions:

1)TUNER: is the tuner degrading my signal? is it significant? is a tuner out mod on a loop box worth the $$$ in your opinion (feel free to chime in everyone)?

2)CHORALFLANGE/BASSDRIVE: what is the sensible order? why? I know I should just futz with them but I thought there may be some general philosophy about the interaction of these two effects.

3)VOLUME CONTROL: do looopers with volume controls center at zero with decrease to the left and increase to the right?

any and all responses are appreciated. I know tone is subjective but I'm pretty obsessive about my signal chain and always look for ways to improve upon it.

THANKS!!

2. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    anyone? anyone? beuller?

3. You dont have a headphone out or effects send on your amp to connect the tuner too? something like that would work, but i dont think its degrading your bass. i would A/B it with a looper to check.

I put chorus after distortion because it seems to show its charecteristics better but its really up to you.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I'd do the same but it's not that big a deal unless you have distortion and chorus on at the same time.

As for the tuner, yes there will be a slight effect by having it always in the signal path. You could use a mini a/b switch like the loooper micro a/b if you wanted to take it out the path.

And the loooper question: As the circuitry is passive, I'm certain you can only take away volume. So, furthest right is max volume (i.e. zero cut).