Signal chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pöl, May 19, 2004.

1. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Hi guys,
    I've been playing for about 7 years, and now I'm taking my first steps in the magic world of effects/compressors/preamps.

In the last months I've gathered a humble pile of stomboxes, and I'm experimenting with "in what order should I put them in the signal chain"

So far i've come up with this:
    bass > boss tu-2 > ebs bass iq > boss bass overdrive > big muff russia > amp

I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on how to improve/chance the sound i can get with these effects, what little combination tricks I can pull with 'em.

Basically, I need some feedback and some useful tips

2. Some people might suggest putting he IQ after your od's/fuzz's, but that's completely up to you.

Your variety of effects doesn't leave much for tricking out your tone. It's a filter, OD and Fuzz. Maybe put the IQ in between the OD and Fuzz, or put the fuzz 1st in the chain. Since you've only got 3 pedals which effect your tone, your options are limited, but you can actually experiment with all the options.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I'd suggest the bassiq after the big muff also
  4. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Thanks for the help!

Forgot one unit:

bass > tu2> ebs bass iq > OCTAVER boss oc 2 (this one I forgot) > boss overdrive > big muff > amp

I'm going to try putting the iq after the muff first chance I get!

Is there some kind of 'rule' to build op the chain, like for instance: iq's at end of chain, or octavers before drivers, etc.?
  5. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    pedals who need as much "clarity" as possible go in front
    tuners, octavers, synth...
    the others go whereever you want to put them(off course there are limitations)
    wah before or after distortion, eq as early as possible, or just as late as possible
    time based effects go into the effect loop whereas distortion and such are better of between bass and amp
    just my 2 cents
  6. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Jep, you guys were right, when you put your drivers in through the iq, you get some sweet sounds!

Thanks! :hyper:
  7. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Hey I'll try that too! My preset chain is:

bass, tuner, ehx black finger, octabass, bassiq, morley, boss-odb3, big muff, amp

Keep posting your chains :)