Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

signal from preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Aug 16, 2002.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    how you preamp/poweramp users connect mono preamp into poweramp to run two cabinets (on 2 channels) ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can try this:
    • Use the line out for channel A and the FX Send for channel B.
    • Use a line splitter or A/B box.
    • Use a rackmixer

My preamp is stereo, so I never had to use workarounds.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Some poweramps have a "dual mono" mode where you can have one signal from your preamp driving both channels of the poweramp. This way is good if you have mismatched cabinets because you can put each cabinet on it's own channel of the power amp and then use the knobs on the power amp to balance out the volume.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's very simple. If the amp has a "parallel input" mode, set it that way. Then your preamp's output signal will go to both amp channels. Or use a Y cable to do the same thing, if the amp doesn't have a "parallel" switch or if you'd rather leave the amp in stereo or dual-channel for reasons of convenience.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Apparently "parallel input" & "dual mono" are two different terms for the same thing.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    "Dual mono" usually means a two-channel amp that, after the AC power switch, has a separate power supply for each channel. The audio circuitry in each channel is already independent of the other, so the result is that you have the equivalent of two monaural amps in the same channel. I've never heard it used as a substitute for "parallel mode" or "parallel inputs."

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah, there are dual mono amps (Stewart comes to mind), but I was just talking about dual mono mode. Carver power amps, for example, have a "dual mono mode for operating both channels with a single mono input" (they didn't call it "parallel input" mode). They may very well have the "innards" that you describe as well.
    Thanks though, I hope I didn't cause any confusion for anyone.

This is from Carver's website:
    The Dual Mono mode allows you to operate both channels from a single input (Channel 2) in mono. This gives you the ability to utilize the amplifier at lower impedance than in the Bridged mono mode, but with less power.
    The power would be the normal power rating per channel for the amplifier you are using based on the impedance of the load being used. [Example: The pm1400 would deliver identical information to both channels at 700 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load.