Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signal level weirdness ..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassotus, Feb 19, 2003.

1. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    Hi all,

I've been using a TE head/Phonic power amp combination for a couple of weeks now, using the FX send of the head to feed the power amp. I've been getting a nice level of volume out of this setup with a Behringer MDX2200 compressor between them, but last night was the first time I actually tried it without the MDX in the signal chain; even though the TE head claims to have max. +4dBu send level, I can barely get the signal indicators on the poweramp to flash with everything turned up full! I suppose my Warwick gives a decent signal since the padded input stage of the TE head clips with gain set at about 7.
    What gives? +4dBu level should be sufficient for the Phonic; is there something wrong with the FX send of the head or the input sensitivity of the poweramp? Something to do with different impedances of the MDX and poweramp input?

Any advice mucho appreciated.. I guess I'm gonna get a used EBS-1 or something with a decent output level control to replace the Trace head anyway..

Thanks,
    --
    Mikko

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Some TE preamps used to lack sensitivity in the input gain stage, maybe that's the reason.

You'll love that EBS-1 though.

3. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ..but how come placing the MDX in between makes a significant difference in the signal level received by the power amp, even with MDX's output compensation at zero? I don't have the manuals with me now but wouldn't that indicate something about a impedance mismatch between the FX send and poweramp input?

Thanks; it's the 80's model, kinda hard to get any specs for it.. But as always, this is a wonderful forum for justifying acute GAS :) ...

--
    Mikko

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I've used once fx loop in my trace 300ah head for dbx compressor, and got nothing but hum and low level signal