Signal loss, Bypass needed?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by permadave, Jan 5, 2005.

1. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Am new to using effects and am getting a lot of signal loss when running through these pedals. It doesn't really bother me when the any of the effects are on but when I want a clean signal it sounds a lot weaker. Any suggestions? Would a line selector solve the issue? Could I use one of the channels to bypass all the pedals straight into the amp? If so, which line selector.

2 suggestions I've heard so far are

A.Morgan Miller CPR True Bypass Box
    B. Boss LS-2

This is my current setup FYI:

bass->Tuner->EBS Multicomp->ODB3 Overdrive->Chorus->amp
    (note: All pedals are powered from the TU2 tuner)

2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Yea, doing a "true" bypass with a looper like the Boss LS-2 or Looopers ( would help prevent signal loss. Although I heard somewhere that the Boss LS-2 stinks with bass guitar...
  3. With just 4 pedals in the chain you shouldn't have a real noticeable signal loss. First off, I'd check your cables...then try your bass through each pedal (bass - 1 pedal - amp) and see if any one pedal is the culprit. Third, I don't know if the TU-2 can daisy chain off battery power. You should use an adaptor. Last, if the volume you add after compression on the EBS Comp is pretty loud, when you turn it off it'll sound quieter...this goes for the ODB-3 as well. I'd hold off on the true bypass box until the real problem is found.
  4. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

The Tu2 is using a Boss 9v adaptor
    Had tried 1 pedal scenario with same result. It is entirely possible one of the cords is bad in some way. Will make the trek to GC later to get another one or borrow one from our guitar player.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Boss LS-2 is NOT, I repeat, NOT a true-bypass pedal. I tried one during two gigs and even when in bypass mode, it sucked some of the grunt out of my tone.

I'd highly recommend a TRUE bypass pedal from and other similar places on the web.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a similar problem, and bought the Mogan Miller Bypass Pedal. I have anywhere from 3-4 pedals in the chain, and I could hear a subtle loss of signal when the pedals are off. Once I bought the bypass pedal and placed it in the chain, it solved the problem.
  7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I use a BOSS PSA adaptor to power my BOSS ODB3, OC2 and CE2B and have no noticeable signal loss. Our guitarist uses his TU2 to power his pedals with no problem so maybe you so have a bad cable or connection
  8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Make sure the levels on the comp and OD are set so that the volume is the same when on as when bypassed. Only connect one box at a time.

If the levels are set correctly and you're still getting a signal drop, check each cable and each box until you find the culprit.

What bass/pickups and what chorus pedal?
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    hey guys - which model Loooper should I get if I simply want to bypass my pedal board (that currently has 7 pedals) when not using a pedal? I checked the site and I'm not sure which one I need.

Also, does a power supply come with it or do you have to buy it separately through them?

10. You need a 1 loop if all you want to do is bypass the entire board. You can use any 9 volt power supply that normally supplies pedals. If you've got 7, then I'm sure you're using an adaptor and daisy chain...right?

by the way...don't get the Blend knob option (which allows you to blend in the original bass signal with the effected signal), it really cuts down your volume if you're using more than 1 or 2 effects in the loop.
  11. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    as to Lyle's question...

Stock Warwick pickups (active MEC)
    Ibanez Stereo chorus

Also, have ordered looper from Did get blend knob on one of the loops but only plan to use one pedal on that loop so hopefully won't have the problems noted by mo' phat.

Has anyone else had problems with blending with a looper? How about if the blender switch is set to off? Any signal loss then? Blend should be bypassed at that point, right?
  12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    The output of the MEC preamp shouldn't be affected by impedence or cable length like passive pickups would. You either have a bad cable or a bum effect.
  13. I ordered the loooper with the blend, thinking that I could mix my bass signal with my entire pedal board...when there was a volume drop with the blend set to about 50/50 I emailed Dave and asked him. When I told him I had 10 pedals in the loop, he said, "Wow, that's a lot of buffers." Obviously, I wasn't expecting this...he told me that most people that use the blend knob only have 1-3 effects in the blended loop. If you disengage the blend knob, then there's no signal degradation.