1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signal loss from a certain pedal combination

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D'yer Mak'er, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I own a Boss DD-20 and a Digitech JamMan, along with a few other pedals. Putting either of those two in series with the rest of my pedals works fine, but as soon as I put the DD-20 and JamMan together I get signal loss so bad I can hardly hear my bass when my amp volume is cranked to 100% (which should shake the walls).

Anyone have any idea of the cause, and better yet a possible remedy?

Thanks

2. ...and better yet a possible remedy

Don't put those two pedals together?

3. I was thinking something more along the lines of... being able to use both of them... :p

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Things I would troubleshoot:
    -Power supplies: polarity, sufficient amperage available for both units
    -Outputs: balanced, unbalanced, internally set for inst./line levels
    -Grounding: chassis, output jack nut, any other continuity points
    -series/parallel signal paths, phase if parallel
    -patch cords

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Things I would troubleshoot:
    -How's my hair?

6. first +1 on bongo's troubleshooting

check the technical specs on the pedals.

BOSS DD-20

DigiTech JamMan

Based off impedance matching I wouldn't want the JamMan in my loop. But into the 1/4 input jacks on my preamp. I might go as far as to try plugging it into the passive/0db jack rather than a active/-(?)db input (I think mine is -15db, but I have seen -5-20db on bass preamps).

Imo It would be best to put the JamMan inbetween the bass and pre-amp inputs using what ever input level suited your gain needs. I think this makes allot more sense. Besides having better impedance band input/output matching. Then you won't be looping any of the effects in front of it. I feel that opens up more potential. As each loop you record off you bass will be your bass nothing else. I.e. all the other electronics and their potentally unwanted noise, interference, and/or "color".

You will still hear all the "effects" when the loop is played. But you can turn other effects on and off. Make gain, tone, eq, other adjustments. Without recording a new loop, for the new settings. The only down side I see is they maybe some lost use of the "delay". Obviously you won't be able to record a loop with "delay" in it. As you could with the DD-20 in front of the JamMan. And when ever the delay is on it would delay everything infront of it.

If I were to run both in series on a loop I would try running the DD-20 into the JamMan for impedance matching. But the output level of the the DD-20 is higher than recommended for the JamMan. Yet the JamMan's output is higher than the input ratings of the DD-20. If you were to reverse them.

7. "Impedance matching" is a greatly misunderstood term. Provided you have high input impedance (470k ohm typically - the higher the better to a degree) and low output impedance (100 ohms to 1k) you're golden.

The JamMan is fairly typical: 1Meg input impedance (better than typical Boss specs) and 100 ohm output impedance which is very good.

The Boss, again 1M input, 1k output which isn't as good, but still perfectly acceptable. It even has a "recommended load impedance" which is 10k - the JamMan exceeds that by a factor of 100.

So ostensibly you should be having any issues. However, there's a lot of scope for incorrect settings and connections on both of those pedals. Instrument, auxiliary and microphone inputs, headphone outputs, stereo outputs... it's a god damned nightmare actually!

8. Well gosh, thanks for all the detailed feedback, but I'm having trouble understanding all of it, haha. I have tried putting the JamMan before and after the DD-20 but the problem exists either way. I really need it last in the series though, otherwise it's nearly useless to me.

The signal goes through both of them just fine as long as I'm not using the other, so it can't be something wrong with one of them.. just some sort of disagreement between the JamMan and DD-20.

9. Whoa, I played around with my little cables and turns out it's a problem with one of them... the one I was only using when I had everything plugged in. Somehow I overlooked that before. It's a Monster too, isn't that not supposed to happen?? hehe

Well again, thanks for the help, but looks like we can close the books on this one...

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Glad you solved it! Monster cables are nowhere near as good as they claim. :)

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Occam's Razor

Bad cables occur more often than other more esoteric issues. ;)