1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signal Splitting Question

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gin, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    Just acquired an Avalon u5 and was wondering how I could split the signal so that I have I could a clean bottom end via the U5 and a distorted top end via Darkglass B7k. I have figured 1 way to do it and that was guitar > tuner pedal > b7k, parallel out > compressor pedal > U5. Mic xlr of u5 to recording interface and the b7k xlr is also hooked to the recording interface. Just wondering if there was a less complicated way to do what I want.

Recording in Reaper.

Thanks!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Why not run the thru out of the U5 into the DG then run both signals to you mixer/interface?

3. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    I did not know that would work thought the thru out was only meant for connecting to an amp head., i shall give it a try.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The Thru Out is just like running your bass directly out of it with no effect, unless you choose to switch the Tone control to that output using the 'ACTIVE to THRU' switch.

5. My 2 cents.
    When recording I very often use at least two signals in the way you intend to do.
    I usually split the signal at the beginning of my chain. My EBS Chorus pedal has a 'stereo out' that works great for that, the knobs on the Chorus are all at zero, it just functions as a split box.

So, it would look like this.
    Bass > EBS pedal (split box)
    > one line into U5 (clean tone) > recording interface.
    > second line from split box into B7K (dirty tone) > recording interface.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017